Chlorine Free Bleach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdtastentune

Reaction score
For sanitizing lately I have been trying chlorine free bleach, made with Cosmetic Grade Peroxide and water. What do you guys think about this stuff? Cleaning/sanitizing with a diluted (1 tbl per gallon).

I was puzzled when I saw the question since for me, bleach is chlorine.

But according to wikipedia, "Bleach refers to a number of chemicals that remove color, whiten, or disinfect".

Now it does not mean that any "chemicals that remove color, whiten, or disinfect" can be used for beer and food processing task!!!!

I would not risk poisoning anyone, and I would stick to what is documented.

Sounds like an Oxymoron to me.

Use Starsan with distilled or RO water and it lasts forever. I have a 5 gallon batch from 2009 that still tests under 3 Ph.

EdWort - Now that is getting your money's worth for sure.

OP - If it works for you that's fine, most of us go with the tried and true known methods of StarSan or Iodophor. I think for the most part you could wash things and then rinse with water and never get an infection with properly pitched yeast, but why take the chance?

Yea its only ingredients are hydrogen peroxide, citric acid and water. I rinse with boiling water and clean with oxy clean free. No problems yet with the last few brews as far as taste or infections. Did not know starsan is reusable.... I am on the edge of picking some up....

Just get it. It's wonderful stuff. No Rinse, lasts quite a long time if mixed with distilled water and especially when used with a spray bottle. I've kept a 3 Qt. jug of it in the closet for many many months for topping up my spray bottle.

Yea its only ingredients are hydrogen peroxide, citric acid and water. I rinse with boiling water and clean with oxy clean free. No problems yet with the last few brews as far as taste or infections. Did not know starsan is reusable.... I am on the edge of picking some up....

Rinse? what a waste of time and water.

Star-san is also NO RINSE...and we mean it. DO NOT RINSE your star-san, lest ye de-sanitize it!

Ok, yea I am buying some starsan. But... I still cant see whats wrong with what I have been using. Seems both Hydrogen peroxide and citric acid has cleaning and disinfecting properties, and are very bio friendly.

hopefully you are not trying to sanitize anything containing copper or brass? it's best to use Star-San for these, as the peroxides (and actual bleach) are bad for these metals.

No, actually I have no copper or brass yet, next buy is a wort cooler asap. I have 5 heavy extract brews under my belt so far.. So yea whats next??

Back