Chlorinated Water and Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDiedDancing

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing for around 12 years and have always been on a well. Recently I moved into a house that has municipal water that is treated (I believe it’s chlorinated). My plan is to use R/O water for the Star San mix but would like to use the tap water for the actual cleaning of the kettles, kegs, and carboys. Any issues doing this or could it still contribute to phenolic off flavors? Thank you.

When water with chlorine or chloramine evaporates, what does it leave behind? Obviously what ever minerals and solids are in the water. But at the volume of water that makes up a wet bucket, it cannot be enough to worry about. I assume the residual is in the noise floor the ± of the PPM. So that should not be a distraction.

I guess I assumed that any chlorine or chloramine gas is released when the water evaporates, or is part of the evaporated gas. Are there any little chlorine or chloramine rocks in my bucket?

I cannot imagine paying cost and trouble of using RO water to rinse. Unless yiu r source of RO water us very cheap and abundant. I would be afraid I would hold up and not rinse well enough to get what ever I was rinsing well funded enough.

If I was concerned about residual chlorine/chloramine, I would rinse fully with tap, shake dry. Then rinse with tap water treated with campden tablets. Cheaper to make than RO and more plentiful.

I use tap for cleaning. Chlorine and chloramines around here. I use spring and ro to actually brew with. I've never had any issues, and I used to when I first started and brewed with tap water. I don't even worry about it drying much. The amount is so minimal that it doesn't seem to do anything bad.

Latest posts

Back