Chip in enamal pot lid and issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsen67

Reaction score
Pulled my enamel brewpot (canning pot) out of the basement the other day and discovered that the lid had fallen off at some point and "dented" on the concrete (on the side or edge). The high humidity level in the basement found the chip and started some rust at the site that is causing a bit of a "bubble" under the enamel.

I know I would not use a chipped pot, but is there any reason that I cannot keep using the lid like this? Are there any special precautions I should take?

Thanks for the help.

Assuming you're only using the lid to bring water to boil, it shouldn't be a problem.

After that, you shouldn't be using a lid. Unless you just really want your beer to taste like corn, using a lid on your wort is going to add a lot of DMS that doesn't need to be in there.

Yes, I just use it to get to a boil, and then put the cover on when chilling in ice bath (to avoid and accidental contamination - so there is condensation build up on it at this point that drips back into the pot).

Latest posts

Back