Chinook grew 11", CTZ 12" in 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_JP_

Reaction score
As of 4/3/7pm EDT:

2nd year plants, in 24 hours:

Chinook: +11" (61"; yesterday 50")
CTZ: +12" (58"; yesterday 46")
Magnum: +8" (58")
Centennial: +4" (51")

Total height:
Mt Hood: 10" (weakling!)
cascade: 7" (weakling!)
Brewer's gold: 21" (had 15+ shoots, but not growing as fast as I expected)

1st year plants (1 month transplants):
Galena: 8"
CA redvine: 7"
Sterling: 1"
Nugget: 2.5"
Willamette: 1"

Chinook is grown almost entirely in the shade (due to a fence; once it gets 5' then gets full sun). I can't explain how it's growing so fast. It and CTZ act like they're pissed off at the world. I'm afraid to go near them.

No fertilizer on any of them. Just lots of mulch.

Anyone else want to share their progress?

Anyone else want to share their progress?

My Cascades climbed up a 5' pole in about a week (this is after cutting down all the first shoots), and has just grabbed onto a wire that I have running up to the fascia board of the house. I'm afraid to go near it too, for fear it may grab me and strangle me for only giving it about 15' worth of wire to climb. I think it may reach the roof in about 2 weeks, and then bore a hole thru the shingles and my bedroom ceiling and attack me in my sleep. And this plant is only 2 years old. Next year it will just kick me and my family out of the house and move in. It's pretty aggressive.

I had some pretty exciting growth the first two weeks of my GLH crowns. One cascade was hitting 3-4" a couple of days in a row. They slowed the last week or two (Ever since I got my soil sample back and fertilized them, I had K but no NP). They are all building up speed again.
4/3/12
Cascade1: 30"
Cascade2: 10"
Centennial1: 12.5" about 12 bines
Centennial2: 8"
Willamette:12"
Mt. Hood: 6"
Chinook, Nugget both about 2"
Also just got 6 rhizomes in the ground a couple of hours ago. :Rockin:

bigljd said:
My Cascades climbed up a 5' pole in about a week (this is after cutting down all the first shoots), and has just grabbed onto a wire that I have running up to the fascia board of the house. I'm afraid to go near it too, for fear it may grab me and strangle me for only giving it about 15' worth of wire to climb. I think it may reach the roof in about 2 weeks, and then bore a hole thru the shingles and my bedroom ceiling and attack me in my sleep. And this plant is only 2 years old. Next year it will just kick me and my family out of the house and move in. It's pretty aggressive.

Very funny. With those type of characteristics, I'm glad mine are 80' away from the house.

I had some pretty exciting growth the first two weeks of my GLH crowns. One cascade was hitting 3-4" a couple of days in a row. They slowed the last week or two (Ever since I got my soil sample back and fertilized them, I had K but no NP). They are all building up speed again.
4/3/12
Cascade1: 30"
Cascade2: 10"
Centennial1: 12.5" about 12 bines
Centennial2: 8"
Willamette:12"
Mt. Hood: 6"
Chinook, Nugget both about 2"
Also just got 6 rhizomes in the ground a couple of hours ago. :Rockin:

I don't know what's up with my Cascade. Everyone says they grow like weeds, but mine? It's been in the ground for 14 months now, and I put it in the "primo" spot in the yard with the most sun - 8-10 hours worth.

The Chinook, Centennial, and CTZ on the east side of the house (shaded in afternoon) are the ones taking off. Same soil mix for all of them.

Quick story:
My new rhizomes are in 5-gal buckets now until their beds and trellises are ready. Once they sprouted (in partial shade), I moved to full sun (most energy for growth, right?). After a few days, they quit growing. The Sterling bines shriveled in the middle and fell over (just like "damping off"). Fungus? This happened last year to 2 Willamettes (in full sun) and they never recovered. Moved buckets back to partial shade, and they're growing again. Sterling even started sprouting leaves from the "dead" bines at the nodes.

So, to all you southern growers, it seems possible that the sun's intensity is too much for some varieties, and that it's even beneficial to keep them partially shaded.

I don't know what's up with my Cascade. Everyone says they grow like weeds, but mine? It's been in the ground for 14 months now, and I put it in the "primo" spot in the yard with the most sun - 8-10 hours worth.

The Chinook, Centennial, and CTZ on the east side of the house (shaded in afternoon) are the ones taking off. Same soil mix for all of them.

Quick story:
My new rhizomes are in 5-gal buckets now until their beds and trellises are ready. Once they sprouted (in partial shade), I moved to full sun (most energy for growth, right?). After a few days, they quit growing. The Sterling bines shriveled in the middle and fell over (just like "damping off"). Fungus? This happened last year to 2 Willamettes (in full sun) and they never recovered. Moved buckets back to partial shade, and they're growing again. Sterling even started sprouting leaves from the "dead" bines at the nodes.

So, to all you southern growers, it seems possible that the sun's intensity is too much for some varieties, and that it's even beneficial to keep them partially shaded.
could be the shock of moving to the full sun. don't worry about it, new shoots will grow back and they'll be hardened since they'll emerge in full sun.

something to keep in mind with all plants is that they aren't used to change. plants don't move. they can be confused by sudden variations in their environment.

Back