Chinook/Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaco

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So recently I brewed a Pale Ale using Chinook and Cascade. Aiming for OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.014. This is the recipe I used for 10 gal
Grains:
94% 2 Row Pale Ale
6% Caramunich II

Hop Schedule
2.1 oz of Chinook @ 60 min
1 oz of Cascade @ 30 min
1.5 oz of Chinook @ 15 min
2 oz of Chinook @10 min
1 oz of Cascade @10 min
2 oz of Chinook @ 5 min
2 oz of Cascade @ Flameout

Yeast
US – Safale 05

Fermentation
10 days in primary
7 days in secondary
Cold conditioning for 7 days in keg.

I haven’t carbonate the beer yet but I had a taste of it from the keg to see how the beer was evolving. Beer is really hazy. It doesn’t have the piney grapefruit aroma and flavor I was expecting. Has a kind of sweet orangey like flavor that seems a little weird. I don’t know if there something wrong with the recipe and the combination between the hops. Maybe it has to condition a bit more. Please any suggestions on how can I improve this beer will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Taste good though, right?

Hops don't always taste like the descriptions. The flavor and aroma is highly variable depending on the growing year, region, and farm they come from. My homegrown hops don't taste like the commercial equivalents but they're still good. Also, the yeast you use plays the most important role in final beer flavor/aroma. If you smell hops right out of the package they don't resemble anything similar to how they smell/taste in the final beer. You can play around with different yeasts and hop combinations until you get the flavors you want but it's really difficult to nail the results you want the first time. The carbonation and temperature of the finished beer can play a role in how you perceive certain flavors too. Beer flavor does change over time as well so just wait and see what happens. I'm sure you'll still enjoy the result even if it's not what you expected.

I say carb it up and try it. I'm surprised you didn't get some of that pine like flavor from that much Chinook. I just floated a keg of Chinook Ipa last night. Yuuuummmm.
But I agree with cswis86 could just be the batch of hops.

I will start to carb on Monday. Let you know how beer turns. Thanks

Back