Chime in on EZ-Cap bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bniesen

Reaction score
I am thinking about going to a swing top bottle and I have 2 options. Option A:Buy a case or two of EZ-Cap bottles from the LHBS. Or option B:Buy Grolsch beer and re-use the bottles.

I ask because I have heard bad things about EZ-cap bottles not sealing properly and I don't care much for Grolsch beer and they are green glass bottles.
Give your 2cents here and cheers!:mug:

Just curious here, but do you have a big aversion to glass bottles with caps? I know it's kind of a chore to put crowns on, and I've been tempted to use the EZ cap bottles myself because there are places I like to have a beer (boating/fishing/beach) where glass is banned or frowned upon, but what other reasons are there?

Crown caps have been use successfully for a long time. They're cheap. The bottles are free if you know who to ask, or where to scrounge, and I don't mind when I give brew away to friends and family if they forget to return the empties. I can't say the same if I were using swing tops or EZ caps. Heck, I'm tempted to just recycle a dozen or two Coca Cola PET bottles just for beach use. It's not like I'd be upset if those got tossed when they were empty.

I'm not trying to argue, just curious. I will add that if you're set on doing swing tops I've only heard of people here having problems with the LHBS bought ones. They don't really seem to be too well adjusted and need to be tweaked to really seal well.

Option A) You run the risk of having poorly made or cheap bottles (There were a couple threads last week where people complained that the new lhbs ones weren't sealing.)

Option B) You have to drink a bunch of crappy/skunky beer, and are stuck with a bunch of green glass bottles.

Option C)

schwelmer%20pils.JPG

Not a bad beer in, and iirc, 22 ounce brown Flip tops. Check in your area.:D

I have 8 of them, they are really nice, I use them for apfelwein.

I haven't had any problem yet with the EZ Cap bottles bought at my LHBS, though I've seen it recommended that the gaskets be changed every 3-4 fills. The gaskets are cheap, like $3/100.

I do not have anything against capping bottles, just looking for short cuts (which can add to more problems). I have a swing top growler that I have used and I started to like it. I will have to keep my eyes open for some brown swing tops at to liquor store. I would always keep some capped bottles around for being diposable, like for gifts or for going over to a friends for a quick BBQ. The gaskets are cheap to replace and it would easier than capping with a "wing" style capper. I could make capping easier with a bench mounted capper but I am waiting until I move to a bigger space before I add anything more to my operation.

The dunkleweizen is very good as well.

Option A) You run the risk of having poorly made or cheap bottles (There were a couple threads last week where people complained that the new lhbs ones weren't sealing.)

Option B) You have to drink a bunch of crappy/skunky beer, and are stuck with a bunch of green glass bottles.

Option C)

schwelmer%20pils.JPG

Not a bad beer in, and iirc, 22 ounce brown Flip tops. Check in your area.:D

I have 8 of them, they are really nice, I use them for apfelwein.

Back