Chilling time of wort in commercial brewery set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the need for quick chilling as being a method for "better beer". Is a wort chiller really necessary?

What Is the time it takes for a brewery to chill its wort from boil to pitching temperature? Or What Is the time lapse between flameout and pitching yeast in a commercial setup? Any examples of breweries and how much time they take?

I have no examples but I would for sure argue the statement that quicker chilling makes better beer.
With commercial breweries everything is about the almighty dollar. The chilling equipment is cheaper than storing beer to cool. It also gets it out the door that much faster.
Look up no chill brewing, it's growing in popularity

At one I shadowed in, a 12 bbl system, there was a good half hour of whirlpooling to form a trub cone, then it took almost an hour to get the whole batch through the heat exchanger (huge plate chiller) and in the fermenter.

That much mass would take a really long time to "no chill" cool it, leading to potential infections or other problems, plus the whirlpooling keeps the debris levels down through the pumps. Seems necessary at that scale.

A typical knockout time (from whirlpool through HEX into FV) is about 45 minutes- the beer goes from 180-200F to pitching temp in seconds, though.

*sorry- HEX= heat exchanger/wort chiller FV=fermentation vessel

Back