Chilling Fermentor too much during fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I was having some trouble keeping the temperature of my clone DFH 60 minute IPA set at 65 in my son of a fermentation chiller. The temperature was floating above 66. So I put gallon of ice in the main fermentation chamber, planning on removing it after a few hours. I forgot it in there all night. Looked in there this morning and the temperature dropped to 60. The krausen*had fallen. I'm worried that I halted the fermentation. I haven't had time to check the SG and won't be able to until tomorrow. Hopefully, the yeasties (WLP001) will wake up and finish doing their job. OG was about 1.067 and was hoping to get it down to 1.013 1.014 or so.

Edit: Forgot to add that this was brewed on Sunday 11/1.

Some reassurance or some RDWHAHBs would make me feel better.

You should be fine. At the worst it might take a few extra days to ferment down.

If you are especially worried, take a gravity reading then check back in a day or two. If it seems to have stalled you can shake it a bit to get the yeast back in suspension and warm it a bit (into the 70's shoudl be enough) for a day or so...that should get it back to bubbling.

When it has warmed up, give it a swirl to re-suspend the yeast.

You should be fine. At the worst it might take a few extra days to ferment down.

If you are especially worried, take a gravity reading then check back in a day or two. If it seems to have stalled you can shake it a bit to get the yeast back in suspension and warm it a bit (into the 70's shoudl be enough) for a day or so...that should get it back to bubbling.

Yeah, what they said! :D:ban:

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a swirl late tonight just to be safe.

It warmed up to about 64-65. I swirled it around for a minute or two. Hopefully that'll be enough.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a swirl late tonight just to be safe.

It warmed up to about 64-65. I swirled it around for a minute or two. Hopefully that'll be enough.

It will more than likely be fine, worst case scenario you will have to add some yeast nutrinent/energizer to kickstart it and get it going again.

Don't fear warming it, if your internal fermentation temp is a few degrees higher than ambient, then warming should be a few degrees higher also, at least foe a few hours.

If after a day or two of allowing it to warm up ther are no obvious signs of fermentation restarting, check your gravity, if it is still add some eergizer and be gone with your fears.

I have had to do it with a dubbel, other than the banana flavor (which is common for belgians - and it definitely aged very well) you should be fine with a neutral yeast.

We're in AZ for crissake, 24 hours and you should be back on track!

I used my autosiphon as a wine thief and took a gravity reading:

That looks pretty close to 1.013.

It started out at 1.067. That's 7.1% ABV :rockin:

Back