chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you are done boiling the wort, cool it down as fast as possible. I fill up the bathtub with cold water and put the brewpot in and far as I can.

A couple more things:
1) If you have unconverted starch in your recipes you will have a permanent chill haze no matter what you do. If you're doing extract brews this probably isn't an issue, but if you're using grains or doing all-grain you need to make sure you either mash grains that must be mashed or avoid them all together.
2) I have found cold conditioning to be the most effective beer clarifier. Once the bottle are carbonated place them in the fridge and let them sit. The cold will precipitate the compounds giving you chill haze and they will settle out. If the beer is warm they will not precipitate and hence not settle.

o ok thanks but can i do a boil with extract even thow the instructions say not to and get rid of the chill haze?

o ok thanks anyway thats all i can get from my home brew store here she more in to wine kits then anything else so i guess i get what i can :(

Well, the good news is that chill haze (so long as it's not starch, and it isn't in your case) is purely an aesthetic issue. It doesn't affect your beer at all. I don't worry too much about it; if my beer sits long enough in the fridge it's not an issue anymore, and if it doesn't at least I enjoyed drinking it.

I don't see why canned liquid extract would be any different than the bulk liquid extract you can buy at lhbs or online and they tap from a barrel into a milk jugg-ish type thing... ? I've seen an opened can of liquid extract and it looked the same as the bulk liquids (not canned) I sometimes use in a midwestsupplies.com kit or something. And you are required to boil the midwest lme for an hour...

I'm sure you can boil this extract. Not sure if it will do anymore good to kill the chill haze, but couldn't hurt.

I try to stick to DME whenever possible.

Anyway, I wouldn't know because I've never used it, but I think irish moss added at the end of the boil may help with chill haze. Otherwise, I just cold condition in fridge for a minimum 2 weeks before drinking and usually I have pretty clear beers.

SilkkyBrew said:
I
I'm sure you can boil this extract. Not sure if it will do anymore good to kill the chill haze, but couldn't hurt.

If it is a pre-hopped extract, couldn't boiling it kill some of the hop flavor/aroma?

I don't know much about pre-hopped extract (other than its best to use regular extract and fresh hops), but I'm guessing the hops within would behave similar to fresh hops. If you boil 45-60 mins, you'll obtain bitterness from them. If you boil 10-15, flavors. If you boil 1-3 or don't boil at all, aroma.

Boiling hops (depending on length) will definitely extract some different qualities than not boiling (basically dry-hopped), but that might not be a bad thing? I've never heard good things about pre-hopped and its probably b/c there is very little bittering quality in the hops due to not boiling...

Back