Illinois Chicagoland Area Homebrew Stores?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm from Chicago but I've been dwelling in Los Angeles for bit, and been a part of the Maltose Falcons. When I lived in Chicago, my LHBS was Brew & Grow on Kedzie.

I'm making my triumphant return to the Chi this summer and it appears that Brew & Grow location is now closed.

Where are people getting their supplies/ingredients these days? Doesn't have to be exclusive to Chicago. Suburbs work too. Just looking for a quality shop.

Bonus question! Any clubs I should look at?

B&G Chicago closed recently due to the high cost of rent.
In the city Gnome Brew is a great choice, for the suburbs see below

Local Homebrew Supply Shops​

The Homebrew ShopSt. Charles, IL
Brew & GrowBolingbrook, Roselle,
Chicagoland WinemakersElmhurst, IL
What's Brewing SupplyPalatine, IL
Perfect Brewing SupplyLibertyville, IL

Homebrew Clubs: Not listed Urban Knaves of Grain in central Dupage County (the largest club in Dupage County).

Other Nearby Homebrew Clubs​

Chicago Beer SocietyCombination beer appreciation/homebrew club, meets at Goose Island in Chicago.
SilveradoSt.Charles/Wasco, IL
Brixie's BrewersBrookfield, IL
Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts (PALE)Plainfield, IL
Spent Grain SocietyPlainfield, IL
Brewers of South Suburbia (BOSS)Chicago south suburbs
Homebrewers Pride of the Southside (HOPS)Chicago south side, meeting in Bridgeport and Oak Lawn
Chicago Homebrew Alchemists of Suds (CHAOS)Chicago, has a unique club brewhouse on the Near West Side at Hubbard & Western that members can brew on
Square KegsChicago, Lincoln Square neighborhood
Brewer's Association of Beer and Beverage Libations Extraordinaire (BABBLE)Lake County, IL
Midnight CarboysCrystal Lake, IL
Club WortPalatine, IL

I will be back by then!

I also remember Chaos, but never did any of their events. This sounds great and will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info!

Looks like that was for 2022.

This year's is August 19th---same weekend.
Good catch, sorry I looked up Chaos website and didn't realize it was for last year.

Chaos has their own clubhouse equipped with brewing equipment since most of it's members live in the city with little room to brew.

I am bringing a Hefeweizen for Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG) beer club.

Where are people getting their supplies/ingredients these days? Doesn't have to be exclusive to Chicago. Suburbs work too. Just looking for a quality shop.

In addition to the LHBS already mentioned, 3rd Horse Craft Beverage Supply in Elkhart (Indiana) is top notch. I know it's not in Chicagoland, but depending where you're at in the city, it's not a bad drive.

I am sorry to hear about Brew and Grow closing, I started homebrewing when I was in grad school in Chicago (2003-7) and I enjoyed going there for supplies, to talk brewing and see what was being brewed there. I wish I had known the clubs then, although it might have been harder to finish my degree.

Back