Chest Freezer to fit Speidel 60L Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad88

Reaction score
I'm looking at fermentation chamber options for the Speidel fermenters I have. Leaning towards getting multiple chest freezers. I would like to go as small as possible and have two , rather than have one large one.

Having trouble finding the best option. I've looked and it seems most of the 5 and 7 cubic ft chest freezers lack the depth needed (fermenter diameter is 15.75 inches) or the width between the compressor bump and side wall is too small.

Anyone else out there have a chest freezer they are using with their speidel fermenter? Any other options for these fermenters?

How are you planning on getting them in and out of the chest-freezer when full? Or are you going to be doing a pressurized transfer.

How are you planning on getting them in and out of the chest-freezer when full? Or are you going to be doing a pressurized transfer.

I'm probably going to get some sort of hoist to help with lifting them in and out of the freezer. I have thought about getting an upright freezer instead (actively checking craigslist) which would eliminate the need for lifting it in and out.

For those big boys, I'd use an upright freezer or fridge. They do sell fridges and freezers as stand alone units.

I have 2 of the 60l fermentors, and I use a modified side by side fridge/freezer to ferment in. Works great. I can also lager in it!

I've been doing a little research on the same thing since I just bought a 5.1 cu ft chest freezer in hopes of fitting a 6 or 12 gallon fermentor and found a thread where a poster says that he fits 60L speidels in a 5 cu ft chest freezer. See this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=490773

I went to measure the 5 cu ft GE chest freezer after reading that thread and I'm not sure how it would fit (6 gallon fermenter would probably fit just fine though , just not the speidel). I think maybe the 2015 model might be sized differently. On the home depot Q+A section they list the internal dimensions as 27.5"H x 23.8"W x 14.7"D , and the compressor hump as 8.2"H x 8.2"W x 14.78"D

I have 2 of the 60l fermentors, and I use a modified side by side fridge/freezer to ferment in. Works great. I can also lager in it!

Didn't even think of this option - sounds interesting. I'm sure there are some examples on here on how to do it ... did it involve alot of rewiring?

I have two of the rectangle speidel 60l. After searching for months for a decent option, I ended building a chamber, really glad I did.

I went to measure the 5 cu ft GE chest freezer after reading that thread and I'm not sure how it would fit (6 gallon fermenter would probably fit just fine though , just not the speidel). I think maybe the 2015 model might be sized differently. On the home depot Q+A section they list the internal dimensions as 27.5"H x 23.8"W x 14.7"D , and the compressor hump as 8.2"H x 8.2"W x 14.78"D

The deep area in my Igloo chest freezer is 26 5/8 H x 15.25 D x 16 W. It fits the tall glass 6 gallon carboy easily with a lot of space around it and an inch or so above the airlock to the lid.

Anyone else out there have a chest freezer they are using with their speidel fermenter? Any other options for these fermenters?

I have a Spidel 30L fermenter and I use a 5cf chest freezer with a collar I built out of 2x10s. Fits great with the Spidel airlock.

Didn't even think of this option - sounds interesting. I'm sure there are some examples on here on how to do it ... did it involve alot of rewiring?

No rewiring. Just cut the center divider out all but the front where the door seals. then hooked up a stc 1000. works great

my camera sucks but, this is what I did.

IMG_3178.jpg

I have a Spidel 30L fermenter and I use a 5cf chest freezer with a collar I built out of 2x10s. Fits great with the Spidel airlock.

I did this as well, plus I used some galvanized hog panel leftover that I bent into a shelf to fill in the bottom of the freezer next to the compressor hump.

I did this as well, plus I used some galvanized hog panel leftover that I bent into a shelf to fill in the bottom of the freezer next to the compressor hump.

I did this initially but didn't like lifting the fermenter in and out, and didnt want to rig up a hoist system. I was doing gas transfers because I didn't want to lift that heavy fermenter out of the deep freezer.

sorry for the late reply. no rewiring. all I did is remove the partition and add a stc 1000. did not remove the entire partition just the center of it. left the part where the doors seal. i can post some pice if that helps.

Back