Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know! It looks like 2.5gal Torpedo Kegs are 9 1/8" in Diameter? Does that sound right? If so, there should be no problems fitting 2 Ball Lock Corny Kegs in. Thanks!
About 9" diameter sounds right, yep

I just bought this 2 days ago for $120 @ home depot. I believe it will fit 2 ball lock 5 gallon cornies. I have an atypical setup, but it fits my 5 gallon ball lock keg + a 2.5 gallon torpedo keg on the floor, then my 5 lb tank and another 2.5 gall torpedo on the hump.

Does it fit the ball lock kegs and tank without a collar? This model is on my shortlist for a small basement. Thanks

What I've found on this model: [edit: Insignia 7cf class NS-CZ70WH6 sold at BestBuy]

"Best answer: Inside dimensions: 32 inches wide, 14.5 inches deep (front to back) and 27 inches from floor to lid. Plus in the lower right floor is a step that is 8 inch wide, 8.5 inch floor to top of step"

So...

View attachment 641690

It should definitely fit at least four ball lock kegs with room for disconnects. Less assured is that fifth keg - even though I slightly over-sized the keg diameters at 9.0" I wouldn't count on the 5th fitting as the freezer walls are often not dead square and plumb and the foaming can cause bulging...

Cheers!
The interior depth front to back is 14.5, but the layout you posted is for 19.5 (the interior height). Might want to update it, it does look like it should fit four pin or ball lock kegs with a collar. Pin lock may require a support box underneath as it looks like it'll need a to have a tiny bit on the compressor hump.

Thanks, that was a good catch. I just wish I could fix the original post like back in The Good Old Days ;)
Here's the updated drawing, colored for effect. Four ball or pins will fit with a collar, probably using 2x10s for height...

Insignia NS-CZ70WH6

Insignia_NS-CZ70WH6.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks for the update. I've bought it but haven't opened the box yet. Looks like I'll be able to keep my pin locks and be able to fit 4 pin + the tank, and probably a small stack of boxes of beer bottles too.

Current (as of fall 2019) Magic Chef 7cu ft fits 4 ball locks and probably a 5lb tank (but not a 10lb tank) with no collar. Available in black or white at Home Depot.

Since I have 10lb tanks I'm going to add a very short collar just to give enough room to run the CO2 line in from outside without risking drilling the body. I have 2 double tap towers that are going on top which will get a wood top adhered to the lid somehow.

View attachment 645323 View attachment 645324
Any idea where it would be safe to drill the two small holes to mount a CO2 manifold? I’m planning on getting this freezer next week...

Thanks, that was a good catch. I just wish I could fix the original post like back in The Good Old Days ;)
Here's the updated drawing, colored for effect. Four ball or pins will fit with a collar, probably using 2x10s for height...

Insignia NS-CZ70WH6

View attachment 657384

Cheers!

thanks for this! Just to clarify: will the 7.0 insignia fit two ball lock kegs and a 5# tank without adding a collar?

Definitely. I added enough height to the "kegs" for standard CMB disconnects and tubing, so keg height should not be an issue.
I measured one of my 5# cylinders from the bottom to the top of the gauges and it's just under 20 inches, so it probably couldn't sit on the hump. Still, I'd say three ball locks plus the 5# cylinder will fit, with the cylinder sitting on the floor just northeast of the "purple keg" in my diagram...

Cheers!

Anyone familiar with the Arctic King 7cf that Walmart sells? It is very close in outside dimensions to the Insignia NS-CS70WH6.

Hi all,

I have a measuring question.. I'm looking at the frigidare 24.8 cuft chest freezer, model FFFC25M4TW. I found the h/w/d measurements, but I'm confused and thinking there's something missing. If im reading the spec right, the dimensions look like the attached image. As you can see where the question marks are, I'm not sure of the interior width. Anyone know what this is or how i would calculate it? Do i have the other dimensions correct?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    22 KB · Views: 48
Did you look at the outside dimensions of the 24.9 cuft layout? It may be the same freezer with just a different name and you can then compare the inside dimensions. I noticed when I purchased a 7.1 cuft freezer that the actual inside dimensions were identical to the 7.2 cuft freezer from the same manufacturer. Additionally, since I always put a collar on my keezers, I don't worry too much about the dimension you question since once filled up with kegs, it doesn't really matter if one keg straddles the hump.

Did you look at the outside dimensions of the 24.9 cuft layout? It may be the same freezer with just a different name and you can then compare the inside dimensions. I noticed when I purchased a 7.1 cuft freezer that the actual inside dimensions were identical to the 7.2 cuft freezer from the same manufacturer. Additionally, since I always put a collar on my keezers, I don't worry too much about the dimension you question since once filled up with kegs, it doesn't really matter if one keg straddles the hump.

It isn't the same unfortunately. It's probably close, but I'm planning to put Chapman stainless steel fermenters in anyway, which are wider than the brite tanks but narrower than 1/2 barrel kegs. I'll probably ask frigidaire directly if no one knows.

Well i finally got the dimensions if anyone is interested:

The interior dimensions are as follows: cabinet depth - 27. 6 in, foam thickness - 3 in, interior length (l1) - 77 in, interior length (l2) - 9 in, interior depth (d) - 23.6 in, interior height (h1) - 24.8 in, interior height (h2) - 8.7 in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_104638.png
    IMG_20200507_104638.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 63
Someone with better diagramming or math skills please keep me straight here.. the Chapman fermenters are 14" wide.. with the interior width at 68"and the depth at 23" and change, i think i can put 7 of these guys in?

Attachments

• 1588864849736_image.png
    1588864849736_image.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 76
Frigidaire FFFC15M4TW 14.8 Cubic Foot Chest Freezer

frigidaire_FFFC15M4TW.jpg

My 12.8 cf second keezer ("K2". RIP) was in the throes of demise (slow refrigerant leak) and the pickings for the next build were uber slim hereabout. I was very fortunate to obtain this new unit, which may have been the only one of its size in New England in the middle of August.

While you can close the lid with a ball lock keg on the floor, if you add a QD to it, no bueno. It's just not tall enough. The lid projects down into the cabinet cavity by a couple of inches - pretty much follows the 25-9/16" line seen from the side view - which doesn't leave enough room for much more than bare kegs.

And, from all appearances, the lid is glued together with foam and can't be opened - can't even remove the liner as best as I've been able to tell. There are no screws or pop fasteners to be found, and the gasket has a barbed tang on the back side that is simply stuffed into a slot running about a half-inch inside the lid perimeter.

No way to hide plumbing and wiring inside it as I did on both my K1 and K2 keezers if it can't be opened up. So one way or the other, a collar or custom lid is required (I went with the latter as I'm a tower fan :))

Anyway, here are some dimension diagrams. I'll be going with this configuration as it's comfortably loose...

keezer3_cabinet_dimensions.jpg

For the more aggressive, the maximum ball lock kegs on the floor is 9...

keezer3_cabinet_max_ball_locks.jpg

For pin lockers, the maximum pin lock kegs on the floor is also 9...

pin_locks.jpg

When I first obtained the unit I powered it up to make sure it worked (it'd be over 2 months before the build was completed). I noticed a mid-range moaning sound that was just the right frequency and strength to roll through our 65 foot ranch house. Not sure what that was all about, but once the build was completed a week ago and it was powered up presumably until it dies it's been purring along at least as quietly as its K2 predecessor - which used a very similar compressor. Anyway, it's very quiet :)

Worth knowing:
  • The left end of the cabinet has no condenser runs, so it can literally butt up against whatever with no issues wrt operational efficiency/safety.
  • There are evaporator runs on the broad side of the hump. Never seen that before.
  • The compressor is mounted on a ribbed steel plate that is then attached to the underside of the cabinet. The plate and especially ribs project downwards below the rest of the cabinet, so if the whole thing was set on the floor it'd have a pronounced tilt. The unit is supplied with both a pair of feet to level the opposite end, as well as a set of casters for those who like their freezers mobile.
Cheers!

[edit] Forgot the pics!

A "Plain Jane" on the outside. It does sport a lock and pilot light on the handle.

FFFC15M4T_01sm.jpg

Notice how deep the lid liner protrudes, and the light adds an additional ~inch.

FFFC15M4T_02.jpg

When I got the unit home and saw this "Cyclopentane" I got a bit freaked as I thought it was a new type of refrigerant.
Turns out it's a foam-in-place process that this unit heavily utilized that's supposed to be more benign to the environment.

FFFC15M4T_04.jpg

Thank goodness for the three hinges. The oem lid weighs 25 pounds, my replacement weighs 50 fully loaded.

FFFC15M4T_06.jpg

No condenser at the left end so zero clearance. Handy for me as I have a fridge to the left.

FFFC15M4T_07.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have experience with a recently purchased Magic Chef 7.0 cu from Home Depot? I'm almost positive it fits only three as i brought four cut out cardboard circles to the actual store to see if i could fit them and couldn't. Spoke with an employee at my local HBSS and he says it fits four, and page 18 has an example of one fitting four. Getting a gist of what I've been reading it sounds like various models have changed over time?

Cheers everybody.

Yeah, freezer specs change all the time. Manufacturers tweak little things and change model numbers. It makes it really difficult to figure out which models are which after a couple of years. For what it's worth, I bought a 7.2 cu Danby Premiere and I can get 5 ball lock kegs in there with an approx 9" collar since 1 keg is on the hump and second keg is straddling the edge of the hump. So without a collar, it would just hold 3 kegs.

Bummer they changed the Magic Chef as that was a great option for a compact 4-tap unit without a collar. And it was available in black.

Anybody have experience with a recently purchased Magic Chef 7.0 cu from Home Depot? I'm almost positive it fits only three as i brought four cut out cardboard circles to the actual store to see if i could fit them and couldn't. Spoke with an employee at my local HBSS and he says it fits four, and page 18 has an example of one fitting four. Getting a gist of what I've been reading it sounds like various models have changed over time?

Cheers everybody.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W4/311895691
Bought one on Nov 3rd. It fits 4 in the bottom with ZERO wiggle room. I used empty kegs to check, and I wouldn't want to try to take one out if they were all full. Not happy, but I already built it up so I can fit another keg on the collar.

The older model fits 4 on the bottom with about a half inch wiggle room. And it was black, which I prefer. It was perfect...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W4/311895691
Bought one on Nov 3rd. It fits 4 in the bottom with ZERO wiggle room. I used empty kegs to check, and I wouldn't want to try to take one out if they were all full. Not happy, but I already built it up so I can fit another keg on the collar.

The older model fits 4 on the bottom with about a half inch wiggle room. And it was black, which I prefer. It was perfect...
Ah great, good to know. I did look and the product number has changed by one digit, so the older model has indeed changed. If you were to take one out when they are all full it would be a challenge cause of how tight it is? Are you using a tank on the ledge without a collar?

Ah great, good to know. I did look and the product number has changed by one digit, so the older model has indeed changed. If you were to take one out when they are all full it would be a challenge cause of how tight it is? Are you using a tank on the ledge without a collar?
Personally, I would only put 3 kegs on the bottom. It would be VERY difficult to remove one if you managed to squeeze 4 full kegs in the first place. There is ZERO wiggle room. Not sure if a 5 lb CO2 tank would fit on the ledge without a collar, but it fits on the old one. In the old model, I currently have 4 kegs on the bottom, and a 5lb tank with a double regulator on the ledge.

Personally, I would only put 3 kegs on the bottom. It would be VERY difficult to remove one if you managed to squeeze 4 full kegs in the first place. There is ZERO wiggle room. Not sure if a 5 lb CO2 tank would fit on the ledge without a collar, but it fits on the old one. In the old model, I currently have 4 kegs on the bottom, and a 5lb tank with a double regulator on the ledge.
Pulled the trigger on a 7.0 Magic Chef. Perfect size for what i need so it worked out. Curveball though, i plan to mount a black iron tower on the top and also have a layer of butcher block as the "counter top" but wasn't expecting a light to be inside of the top of the lid. I removed the light cover and all i could see were wires going directly to the back of the lid which would theoretically be alright if i drilled into the top of where I want to. So, if i end up hitting wires for the lights while drilling am I totally screwed or just damaging the function of the light?

Cheers!

Pulled the trigger on a 7.0 Magic Chef. Perfect size for what i need so it worked out. Curveball though, i plan to mount a black iron tower on the top and also have a layer of butcher block as the "counter top" but wasn't expecting a light to be inside of the top of the lid. I removed the light cover and all i could see were wires going directly to the back of the lid which would theoretically be alright if i drilled into the top of where I want to. So, if i end up hitting wires for the lights while drilling am I totally screwed or just damaging the function of the light?

Cheers!
Glad it worked out for you. I "think" you should be fine drilling through the top lid. Pretty sure it's just the light on the top. The cooling stuff would most likely not be on the lid, only in the ledge and around the edges of the bottom. I was able to plug the light back in after adding the collar, and it seems to work great.

I hit the light wires drilling into the lid for my CO2 line. I just cut them off inside the lid and unplugged the wire in the body.

I have 3 taps in the freezer and 4 kegs inside. The fourth gets carbonated and is waiting to be connected to the tap as soon as one gets empty. I think this is a good way to condition the beer...

Measured a Magic Chef at home depot about 4 years ago. Plenty of room for 4 kegs. The salesman asks me to take the one in the box, not the floor model, he doesn't want to unbox another. that should have been a clue, who would take the floor model first? get home, unpack, drill a few holes in the lid. start to load kegs, and low and behold, it is longer and narrower than the floor model. I can fit 4 in, but they are so tight I have to wiggle them in. I only could really use it for 3, I had soda and it would freeze if it touched the side. It died 3 years later.

Pulled the trigger on a 7.0 Magic Chef. Perfect size for what i need so it worked out. Curveball though, i plan to mount a black iron tower on the top and also have a layer of butcher block as the "counter top"
This sounds similar to what I was planning. Were you able to drop 4 kegs in 7.0 Magic Chef with a collar?

Hi all! First thank you to everyone keeping this thread going for all this time. I too am in the market for a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. I have limited space and not particularly handy (pretty sure if I try to add a collar to a freezer my whole apartment will burn down somehow). Can anyone recommend a 5cu or 5.5 freezer that will fit 2 fermentation buckets (12 inch diameter, 22 inch height including airlock)? If 2 is unrealistic it sounds like most 5 cu freezers should be able to fit one of these buckets? Thank you!

I've been sitting on an old Crosley chest freezer for years in the hopes to turn it into a keezer (model # WCC07/F).
7 cubic feet, comfortably fits 4 kegs and a CO2 tank. This year may finally be the year I do it.

Attachments

• 20210206_102121.jpg
    20210206_102121.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
Is there a particular reason or logic to have CO2 inside as opposed to outside of freezer? Cheers!

Back