Chest Freezer Sizings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I know we already have a sticky somewhere around here for how many corny kegs can fit in each specific freezer but I was wondering what freezer sizes/freezers everyone suggests for a fermentation chamber.

I am currently using my basement which is the perfect temp for an ale, and the freezer I currently has enough room for one carboy, but that is not enough room.

What some recommend is taking cutouts of the bottoms your fermenters/cornies/tanks to the store to see exactly what will fit.

I bought mine used from a Craigslist-like community buy/sell service for $100 and it's more than 2 years into service now. It's a Kenmore.

Thanks for the advice to go to craigslist.

I found a 20cu ft freezer for $25 plus pick up and it seems to be running great.
Now I need to buy like 4 more carboys and temp setters to fill it up ;)

I found a 20cu ft freezer for $25 plus pick up and it seems to be running great.

nice

my 15 cubic foot chamber is gaining a 3 gallon better bottle to accompany a 6.5 carboy, 6.5 gallon ale pail, 5 gallon carboy, 3 1-gallon glass jugs and various 750 ml bottles. I think with the addition of the better bottle I will have maxed out the space.

Great! Hopefully it lasts. At that price you can go through a lot of 'em even if you end up having trouble with it. Having said that...a lot of the older fridges/freezers seem to work forever compared to new stuff.

Do you personally use heat belts on each individual carboy inside the freezer or use a heat lamp inside the freezer?

Back