chest freezer on its side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquid134

Reaction score
any1 ever try this? i found a good deal on craigslist for what i believe is a 7cu fridigair chest freezer.... but im wondering if i could stand it up vertically like a fridge, due to space limitations in my room.

think it would work?

No. Liquid has to drain in a specific direction after going through the condensor (cooling coils).

I would say no, but based on where the compressor is it may be possible

The reason I say no is because if you put it horizontally and the coolant ends up in the wrong lines you will kill it!

The compressor has an oil sump - which is why you're supposed to let a fridge or freezer "rest" in its operating orientation to let the oil run back into the sump. Running the compressor on its side likely compromises the lubrication thereof. There may also be a hydro-lock potential from getting liquid refrigerant into the pump - not sure about that one though. But I do know these compressors are designed to pump vapor, not fluids. Actually, that may be the larger reason to rest a moved chiller?

Cheers!

Without knowing the specifics of your freezer, you have a 50/50 chance of making an expensive paper weight (I made one out a CL minifridge).

I asked the same question yesterday in the general forum. My idea was to turn the freezer and re-mount the compressor to compensate...

The compressor must be vertical for lubricating oil and to prevent slugging, the coils for the condenser would be in the wrong orientation (condensing liquid must exit at the bottom) the evaporator would have oil retention issues.
I would expect trouble.

The compressor must be vertical for lubricating oil and to prevent slugging, the coils for the condenser would be in the wrong orientation (condensing liquid must exit at the bottom) the evaporator would have oil retention issues.
I would expect trouble.

I agree. I think I am going to attempt something similar to what hutson did in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-large-fermentation-chamber-cheap-427471/

...only building up instead of to the side. I am thinking I can at least double the size of my chamber that way allowing for two 15 gallon conicals up top and carboys underneath.

Latest posts

Back