Chest Freezer for Fermenting and Keg Cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dresden87

Reaction score
I got a brand new pin lock corny for my bday from the lady, along with the 2 hoses and a regulator and 5# c02 tank. She also got me the Johnson temp controller for a chest freezer.

The idea is to be able to ferment in there and then store the keg in there to keep the beer cold. The chest freezer I found is the GE 5.0 - is that big enough to fit an ale pail or better bottle? Is it tall enough to fit the corny with hoses attached? Can you tip the corny at all to sqeueeze it in if it's a bit too tall?

Advice is GREATLY appreciated :)

pin locks are a bit shorter/wider than ball locks, but the only way to tell is to measure the space to be sure. You dont want the top pushing on the gas lines at all when closed as this can cause leaks. I would also advise against tipping the keg, they need to be kept upright. Ale pale or better bottle should fit just fine, but you likely wont get a pail and corny in there at the same time without using the space on the hump. Then to use that space you will run out of vertical room and to be build a collar to raise the interior height. It all comes down to putting a tape measure to the inside of your freezer to be sure.

bucfanmike said:
pin locks are a bit shorter/wider than ball locks, but the only way to tell is to measure the space to be sure. You dont want the top pushing on the gas lines at all when closed as this can cause leaks. I would also advise against tipping the keg, they need to be kept upright. Ale pale or better bottle should fit just fine, but you likely wont get a pail and corny in there at the same time without using the space on the hump. Then to use that space you will run out of vertical room and to be build a collar to raise the interior height. It all comes down to putting a tape measure to the inside of your freezer to be sure.

Thanks Mike!

my kegerator is a 4.4 cu fridge and it fits a sixtel and a corny but its tight. Also my fermentation chamber is the same sized fridge but a different brand. it will hold one carboy and one small space heater, but barely has enough room for my else since the better bottle is wide. Ud have to check the interior dimensions of that one to be sure. honestly though i'd recommend going 7cu. I wish i did when i was in the market but i jumped the gun on a good deal on a smaller one and now im looking for a 7cu chest freezer

Back