Cherry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
On New years eve I started a cherry melomel...A real easy recipe from Stormthecastle.com...it was bubbling very nicely but it seems that after only 7 days it's no longer bubbling in the airlock...is the fermenting done? or is 7 days to soon? Any tips? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I went to check the gravity and broke the hydrometer...so I have to go to the brewing store to pick up a new one...however the must smelled very sour...is this normal?

They were just black cherries from the fresh market.

Early on you can get a sour smell. That is normal. Airlock activity means very little. It can look like there is no activity and it be technically fermenting slowly for another 3-4 weeks. Or fermentation can be completely done but the airlock is still moving and that is just the mead degassing dissolved CO2. Either use a hydrometer or do what I do and forget about it and in 2 or 3 months rack off sediment. Forget again for another few months and rack again. Then procrastinate cleaning or getting bottles for a few more months and when you get a solid hour away from the family you may try and bottle but get busy with something and end up stabilizing/sweetening and bottling another 3 months from then lol. With that schedule you never bottle too soon and you know fermentation is over.

Early on you can get a sour smell. That is normal. Airlock activity means very little. It can look like there is no activity and it be technically fermenting slowly for another 3-4 weeks. Or fermentation can be completely done but the airlock is still moving and that is just the mead degassing dissolved CO2. Either use a hydrometer or do what I do and forget about it and in 2 or 3 months rack off sediment. Forget again for another few months and rack again. Then procrastinate cleaning or getting bottles for a few more months and when you get a solid hour away from the family you may try and bottle but get busy with something and end up stabilizing/sweetening and bottling another 3 months from then lol. With that schedule you never bottle too soon and you know fermentation is over.

+1

I like this method!

Back