Cherry Mead is stuck. Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Howdy All,
This is my first attempt at making mead. 2 weeks ago i made 2 batches. Both in 5 litre glass bottles. Both had 1.4kg of honey and one had oranges and raisins and the other had preservative free canned cherries.

the orange one is still happily bubbling away and going fine but the cherry has stopped.

I put some wine nutrient in the cherry one about a week ago as it was noticeable slowing at bubbling then the orange one.

there is a layer of crud at the bottom of the jar. i dont know if that means anything or not.

please help. Is my mead dead and should i toss it out and try again? or is there something i can do to fix it and savage it?

thanks in advance

Howdy All,
This is my first attempt at making mead. 2 weeks ago i made 2 batches. Both in 5 litre glass bottles. Both had 1.4kg of honey and one had oranges and raisins and the other had preservative free canned cherries.

the orange one is still happily bubbling away and going fine but the cherry has stopped.

I put some wine nutrient in the cherry one about a week ago as it was noticeable slowing at bubbling then the orange one.

there is a layer of crud at the bottom of the jar. i dont know if that means anything or not.

please help. Is my mead dead and should i toss it out and try again? or is there something i can do to fix it and savage it?

thanks in advance
How do you know it's stuck ? it may have finished fermenting.

Do you have any gravity readings for the cherry (or both) batches ? As there are a number of reasons why it may have stopped.

If you can post full details i.e. quantities, weights, yeast types, method/technique, any tech details like gravity, possibly pH values etc etc, it will help diagnosis and advice.

How do you know it's stuck ? it may have finished fermenting.

Do you have any gravity readings for the cherry (or both) batches ? As there are a number of reasons why it may have stopped.

If you can post full details i.e. quantities, weights, yeast types, method/technique, any tech details like gravity, possibly pH values etc etc, it will help diagnosis and advice.

My other half said it was stuck. im not sure how he came to this conclusion.
I dont have any gravity reading im sorry. i actually dont know what that is or how to do that. Is that the measurement you take with a hydrometer thingy?

umm quanties and stuff.
1.4kg of honey with 4 litres of water that was heated on the stove till it got to 65c then used wine yeast (2 teaspoons) and pitched that in after the brew got to room temp. then in one was put 1 orange and a handfull of raisins. the other had 800gms of tinned cherries added to the bottle.

to be honest i really have no idea about this stuff it was my partner that made it im just the person looking for the solution but will take any help or advice you can give :D

Yup, gravity readings are got using the hydrometer. Its really the only way of knowing where fermentation has got to.

i did taste it. could taste the honey but other than that it tasted like a sour fruit juice. dunno if its meant to taste like that at all or not

Rack (siphon) off the "crud" (lees) to a clean & sanitized jug/demijohn & put an airlock on it. Keep it in a cool, dark place for 6 months & check the airlock once a week to make sure it doesn't go dry. When it's clear enough to read a newspaper through, it's ready to bottle. It may need more time to age after that, it may not. I don't even think about drinking mead younger than 1 year. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Back