Cherry Lambic BBQ Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I referenced this in another thread, so I thought Id post a recipe for you all to try.

I found this in a Paul Kirk book, and have made it several times. I even tried it out in comp, but I overcooked the ribs a bit :(

Anyway, it uses a cherry lambic beer as a base for the sauce, which adds a really nice tang to the sauce.

2 TBLS butter
1 med onion
2 cups pitted cherries (The recipe calls for black or sour, I use the local Flathead cherries)
1 1/2 cups cherry lambic beer
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider viniger
6 TBLS brown sugar
2 TBLS honey
1/4 cup cherry preserves
1 1/2 TBLS worcestershire sauce
kosher salt
black pepper

Cook the onion in a saucepan unitl translucent (not brown), 3 to 4 minutes. add the cherries and cook until soft about 2-3 minutes.
Add the beer and increase heat to high. let simmer until the liquid reduces by half, 4-6 minutes.
reduce heat to medium and add ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, cherry preserves, worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
Let simmer gently until thickened, 4-6 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool slightly. puree the sauce in a blender. Add more brown sugar, salt, and pepper to taste (I find it doesnt need much for my taste).

Cool to room temp and serve.

I use this sauce as a final glaze on ribs cooked over cherry wood :rockin:

Sounds delicious! Once my sour is done I'll have to bring you a few bottles and you can try it out with that.

Latest posts

Back