Cherry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty2089

Reaction score
I've seen some folks looking for a cherry cider recipe. This one did me well and is pretty simple... the tricky part is finding a nice apple juice to start with.

I used 5 gallons of Martinelli's apple juice (comes in 1 gallon plastic jugs). It was fermented with Nottingham yeast for three weeks at 65-68 degrees in the primary.

Then I racked it on top of Vintners Harvest Cherry Puree and let it sit for two more weeks.

Then I took it off the puree and oaked it with 2oz of Hungarian medium toast oak cubes for two weeks. I soaked the oak cubes in Jameson... for perhaps too long. I really didn't get much oak flavor so you could probably skip this step.

Then I went straight into the keg; no back sweetening.

The color (as you can see below) and body are awesome! There was just the right amount of cherry aroma and flavor. I bet you could do this with a bunch of the purees and come out with some pretty nice ciders. I'd stick with the sweeter purees though.

IMG_4412.jpg

Awesome, I'm going to match your batch, it sounds fantastic. I'll keep in touch just in case I lack the brain power to finish strong, if that's cool.

How much cherry puree did you use for your 5 gal batch?

I used the 3lb can of Vintners Harvest Cherry Puree.

The oak cubes were medium toast, Hungarian oak. I used 2 ounces of these, but I think soaking them for so long at first took some of the oak flavor away. I LOVE oakiness in my beer, wine, and whiskey.

Back