Cherry and plum together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with making a mixed cherry and plum wine? Good idea / bad idea? Tips? I am wondering if I should try making it, or whether just to make a pure plum wine.

Thanks!

Make a batch of each and then try a blend. The first and last time I made cherry wine, it came out really tart, with practically no cherry flavor. I used pie or tart cherries. I've heard if you use sweet (eating) cherries the wine has a cough syrup flavor.
If I get any cherries I use them as a flavor addition for mead or beer.
I searched cherry plum wine on google and found a few recipes and also discovered there is a variety of plum called cherry plums.
Hope you can post the results.
:mug:

I am thinking of doing a dark honey mead with some sour cherries in it, and then adding vanilla into the secondary as well. That will probably need to age for ages...
I just ordered some smaller demijohns (3L and 1.9L), so I might make a plum primary and then split it into two for the secondary with cherries in one of them.

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with making a mixed cherry and plum wine? Good idea / bad idea? Tips? I am wondering if I should try making it, or whether just to make a pure plum wine.

Thanks!
by any chance are you Croatian? You know Plum wine is a clear and right powerful liquer (and I have no idea how its really spelled but sounds like )called Schlivovitz . But the cherry addition sounds tasty ( either sweet or tart)in its own right.

No, I am not :) But many Slavic countries have śliwowica (the spelling might vary), and it is a distilled product. When I am talking about plum wine I am thinking more about umeshu.

I did a black cherry plum using a premade juice from Aldi. It was delicious. As for the proper balance to get what you want from it? Trial and error. But if you can get some of the juice I used as a start point, you can compare before and after fermentation and decide where you want to go after.

Thanks for that idea, but I think where I live it might be hard to get. I don’t think I’ve ever seen plum juice, only prune juice, and the flavours are quite different. I made prune juice melomel that turned out pretty good though.

I did a black cherry plum using a premade juice from Aldi. It was delicious. As for the proper balance to get what you want from it? Trial and error. But if you can get some of the juice I used as a start point, you can compare before and after fermentation and decide where you want to go after.

I'm going to attempt this Aldi juice as well. Do you have a recipe you could share or is it close to the Welch's grape juice recipen?

I'm a beginner. Just started a gallon of the Welch's two days ago but im doing research and buying tools needed.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Back