Chelada recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Guy Brewing

Reaction score
I want to try and make a Chelada style (Miller Chill) for the summer, only as an ale instead of lager. I was going to add 2 cans of frozen limeade from the grocery store to the boil. Does anyone have any idea if the sugar in the limeade will ruin the beer or give it a cidery taste?

I want to try and make a Chelada style (Miller Chill) for the summer, only as an ale instead of lager. I was going to add 2 cans of frozen limeade from the grocery store to the boil. Does anyone have any idea if the sugar in the limeade will ruin the beer or give it a cidery taste?

Hmmm....well that's probably WAY too much lime concentrate. You want a hint of lime, not a punch in the face with it. The sugar part won't matter if you don't use too much lime.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much lime it takes to make a Chelada style beer. I think you would be better off brewing a California Common and then jamming a lime down the neck Corona-style.

This Wikipedia article tends to show that a true Chelada is prepared, not brewed like Miller and Bud's latest fashion beers. Regardless of that it is showing about the juice of one lime for each bottle of beer.

Personally, I wouldn't add this in the bottle. I would make a good beer (lager or ale) like a California Common and add lime and salt like they do in Mexico. And Clamato, if that's your taste. I would worry that if you add lime to the boil or even to the primary that it will lose its "lime" taste over time or create off flavors.

Personally, I've never had Bud Light Lime, but I have had Miller Chill when it came out last year. No offense, but it was one of the worst commercial beers I have ever had the displeasure to drink. Took me near an hour to finish one bottle.

Gedvondur

You dont want to use the concentrate in the boil, you'll lose a lot of the flavor. You dont want to add it to fermentation because the sugars will ferment out leaving you puckering. I suggest adding it to taste when your ready to bottle.

Back