Cheers from Portland, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoupNazi

Reaction score
Gosh, I got the first forum post jitters. Hope I dont botch this one. They'll never let me hear the end of it. OK, relax, here it goes. :D

Hello HBT! I actually found this site through by searching "BEER" in my smart phone's marketplace. In conjunction with Santa (SWMBO) bringing me a beer making kit, and living in a Beer Mecha, I have officially been diagnosed with the brewing bug. My first batch was technically in a bioprocess engineering class- where we got to make/study our own, as well as got a private tour the dreaded AB plant in Columbus, OH. Amazing stuff! (Did I mention Go Bucks!?) Anyways, Im ankle deep with only 4 partial extract batches under my belt:
  • "Simple IPA"- First brew, basic recipe from LHBS. More like an APA, drinkable, with a backbone of a leviathan due to too much initial Magnum. Much was learned from this batch. 4 beers left.
  • "Zeus Stout"- LHBS recipe, added cocoa powder, and Zeus hops, yummy. Needs time to becomes yummier.
  • "Honey Double IPA"- Got the recipe from this site. Cant remember the exact name, but its about to be bottled. Ive had me a taste, and it tastes like a #Winner.
  • "Trippel"- Dragonmead Final Absolution Clone from you know where. Only a week into its primary, but from what Ive read, hopes are high.

I am a Hophead by definition, but just starting to discover Belgians and Sours. "Santa" is bringing me back a 4 pack of Hopslam from Ill(Thats all they had!). I need to learn how to make yeast starters, and how to tie my shoes. But thats what stir plates and velcro are for, and it will all come in good time.

I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions. I look forward to what the future holds and what fills our glasses. :mug:

Portland Craigslist has a stir plate for sale. Seems reasonable but I really wouldn't know, price-wise. I'm 4 batches in myself down in McMinnville. Began with IPAs, bitters and ESBs. Black IPA in primary right now. Just polished off the last glass of cream ale/ESB bastard. Cut kegs for sale down here if you know anyone in need! We have extras from a 3 tier set-up than never took shape.
Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome from another newbie to the forums. Stir plates are incredibly easy to make if you have an old computer and a few bucks to spend at Radioshack. I used the magnet from a hard drive and the fan from a power source. I even used the power source enclosure (with a small piece of plexiglass) to build the stir plate in. You can get an Erlenmeyer flask and stir bar from Scientific American near the Costco on NE 138th. Beware, their online catalog is very old and prices have increased. Again, welcome.

Oregonians have a liquid fetish due to the sheer volume that pours from the sky. If only we could coax ale from the clouds, we'd be set for life!

Drowninginbeer said:
Oregonians have a liquid fetish due to the sheer volume that pours from the sky. If only we could coax ale from the clouds, we'd be set for life!

Amen bruddah!

Well, technically, we get our water from the Bull Run watershed. So a part of my beer does fall from the sky.

Latest posts

Back