Cheers: An Intemperate History of Beer in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
"Cheers: An Intemperate History of Beer in Canada" is a great book. I just finished reading it. It covers everything from how beer came to Canada, to prohibition, to corporate takeovers, to craft brews and homebrews. The guy even goes on a beer mission across Canada, covering Halifax, St. John's, Montreal, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Whitehorse, Vancouver, Surrey and Victoria.

A great interesting read from a beer lover, who actually recommends a lot of great Canadian craft brews.

I give it a B+

My girlfriend bought me the same book about 3 weeks ago, but I've had too many readings from my textbooks to even consider picking it up. If I got a B+ in any class I'd be satisfied so... I think I'll actually read it at work this weekend ha ha ha.

The first couple chapters are a little boring, but it gets good.

Have you tried the Garrison beers from Halifax? I am trying to get a friend of mine to send a few up to me.

I'm at the Garrison Brewery at least every week! I'm less than a ten minute walk from them and I'm a sucker for their Hopyard Pale Ale ha ha ha. If you'd like I could send you one of their "Mixed 6" packs. I'm pretty sure you can choose any of their beers to include in it, except for their Barley Wine and seasonal Winter Warmer.

The garrison beers are very good. The hop yard is very good. Their beers have very unique flavour in my opinion they have a slight citrus taste to them, with out getting overly so like many of the US micros.

I'm at the Garrison Brewery at least every week! I'm less than a ten minute walk from them and I'm a sucker for their Hopyard Pale Ale ha ha ha. If you'd like I could send you one of their "Mixed 6" packs. I'm pretty sure you can choose any of their beers to include in it, except for their Barley Wine and seasonal Winter Warmer.

Are you serious??? I would be all over that. Just let me know how much and I will send you payment.

I saw the pictures at the Labatt, Revvy. They were awesome.

Thanks I thought you'd like them.

Just looking at the reviews for cheers. Has anyone read Pashley's first book?

9781554682560.jpg

Notes on a Beermat
Drinking and Why It's Necessary
By Nicholas Pashley

First published in 2001 to national acclaim, Notes on a Beermat is Nicholas Pashley’s ode to the amber nectar of the gods, a witty meditation on beer and everything that goes with it—from socializing to the solitary pleasures of a beer and a book, to the qualities necessary in a good pub.
Most books about beer focus on the beverage itself, how to make it and how to buy it. Notes on a Beermat, the only Canadian book of its kind, explains how to drink beer and why it is absolutely necessary. With characteristic wit and charm, Pashley observes, for example, that “to ensure a steady and regular supply of beer, it was necessary to cultivate grain. This in turn transformed early man from the hunter-gatherer to the agriculturist. Even then, beer was making people smarter.”
Whether you’re out for an after-work drink with colleagues or you’re looking for a seat at your favourite watering hole, Pashley is your guide. His stories about searching for the perfect pub, the best time of day to drink beer and the silliest pub conversation he’s ever had will leave you laughing into your pint.

So this fellow walks into a bar, right? Then he walks into another bar. And yet another bar. Repeat this action for 35 years. And that’s how this book got written. . . .
This is a book about drinking. Now, we’ve seen a number of books about drinking in recent years, most of them telling either sad or inspirational stories about the perils of alcohol and the overcoming thereof.
This is not one of those books.
—From Notes on a Beermat

I haven't read it yet, but I am going to order it for sure.

He has a weird writing style. It is like he is talking to you. He always goes off topic and babbles a lot, but it makes for an interesting read.

Latest posts

Back