Checking mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backhoebob

Reaction score
Is there a specific method to tell when my mash is ready to run? Is there some type of test I can perform to see? I'm new at this. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Take a small sample of your wort and mix it with a couple drops of iodine. If conversion is complete, the mixture will not change color too much. If it is not ready, the mixture will be purplish black. I have also used Iodaphor for this in the past.

60-90 minutes. I usually do a taste test during vorlauf for sweetness.

beergynt said:
Take a small sample of your wort and mix it with a couple drops of iodine. If conversion is complete, the mixture will not change color too much. If it is not ready, the mixture will be purplish black. I have also used Iodaphor for this in the past.

^^ this +1

The iodine test is the only genuine and precise way. Just make sure to stir the **** outta the mash before taking the sample - to avoid any inconsistent spots. Also run a cup out to clear the tap before taking your test sample. The reaction is very noticeable if there are still starches, no reaction and your golden!

Thanks for the advice. Every little bit helps me get one step closer to my goal. Thanks again.

Back