Check out this Tripel - Critique please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
First try at a Tripel, trying to stay close to Jamil's recommendations for a simple tripel from BYO a couple months back (though I cannot locate my issue currently). I'm pushing the IBUs a bit but that's just how I roll.

Probably using WLP500 or 550 depending on whether I can revive the 550...massive starter regardless of strain.

Crystal Tripel
11 gallons
Color: 4 HCU (~4 SRM)
Bitterness: 31 IBU
OG: 1.083
FG: 1.018 (predicted)
Alcohol: 8.3% v/v (6.5% w/w)
Grain: 25 lb. German Pilsner
4 lb. Corn sugar
Mash: 90min @ 155F
80% efficiency (standard for my system)
SG 1.063 14.5 gallons
Hops:
112g Crystal (3.0% AA, 60 min.)
84g Crystal (3.0% AA, 20 min.)
56g Crystal (3.0% AA, 0 min.)

Any and all feedback welcome. I'd especially like to hear from anyone with Crystal hop experience for this style (or any other Belgian for that matter).

Cheers and thanks...

I am pretty sure there was 4 ozs of aromatic malt in JZ's recipe...so you may want a half a lb or 10 ozs for your 11 gallon batch.

Good Luck!

A good beginning concept. Too many people try to make tripels complicated; virtually all belgian tripels are made with only the two fermentables you have there.

The OG for tripels is generally in the 11-14 range; it's a fairly dry beer, very highly attenuated - generally well in excess of 80%. The planned attenuation you have is about 78%. This is no doubt partly due to the higher mash temps, and the relatively low percentage of dextrose as a fermentable (about 14% - to look at the belgian examples again, dextrose is often somewhere between 15-20%). As such, you're ending with a fairly sweet, rich beer.

All this is not necessarily criticism. I'm comparing your recipe to sort of sylistic archetypes, like Westmalle. Maredsous 10 is one of my favorite tripels, and it uses caramel malt, and finishes quite sweet. La Fin du Monde is also probably heavier than the 'typical' belgian tripel (and deviates in various other ways from the traditional tripel), and it's also fantastic. You just need to know what you're aiming for.

Aromatic malt would be pleasant, as would a bit of light caramel malt. They are not part of the base tripel style. Make of that what you will.

Crystal hops: I've never used them in Belgian ales before. I think they would be alright, a bit more resiny than the usually earthy/spicy varieties used. A bit of a more American touch. Wouldn't be my choice, but I could see it being a valid choice.

Remember that temps are pretty important, in a broad way, to Belgian strong ales. They are fermented hot and vigorously in primary; often they get above 80*F, with ambient temp more than 15*F below that. So if the temp really rises, don't try to cool it back down unless you start getting much above 80*F. 77 at peak fermentation would probably be ideal on the homebrew scale. This will help attenuation, and develop the aromatic complexities of the style.

Then, it should be cold conditioned for a while to cut back on the rather extreme aromatics that develop in primary. Sorry if this is old new to you, but my Belgians really improved when I started doing just this step. Even a short time in sub-50*F temps will help, but a month around freezing really brings it all together.

If bottling (which is recommended for this style,) carbonate as much as you can without bursting bottles. Commercial tripels are generally put in bottles designed for quite high pressure, and 4 units of C02 isn't uncommon. Don't go higher than 3 if using ordinary bottles, though; even that may be pushing it.

Sorry for the book; you just asked for a recipe critique and you got a likely-uneccessary tutorial....

I'd personally drop the crystal and use styrian golding, saaz, or even a german noble hop. And would get rid of the flame-out addition. Just my opinion.

Riverfront...thanks for filling the missing ingredient there.

Skyforger...love the book. I'm more of a IPA brewer so my expertise is not in Belgians. That's also the reason for the Crystal (it's probably the least American of the hops I have). I'm forcing myself to use the ingredients I have on hand for my next few brews (it's budget season).

My Chimay clone was an interesting experience last year that I wish to build upon...in a good way that is. Much to consider with your assistance. Thanks.

Back