Check out this recepie.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panicbuttonguy

Reaction score
This is going to be my first AG brew. Instead of working today I put this recepie together. Let me know what you think and if there are things you would change. This is also my first attempt at a recepie.

Grains:
10 lb Golden Promise
1 lb Maris Otter
1 lb 2 row
.5 lb Caramel 10L
.5 lb Carapils

FWH:
2oz Warrior
1oz Centennial

Aroma:
2oz Horizon
1oz Ahtanum
1oz Centennial
------Continuous add (like DFH) starting at 30 mins
1oz Centennial 5 mins

Dry Hop: secondary
2oz Centennial
1oz Citra

Yeast:
WY1056

Mashed @ 151

Try plugging your hop schedule into an online calculator. I think you may want to scale them back. You are near 100 ibus with just the fwh.

Well, the malt bill is "fussy". No need for maris otter and two-row if your basemalt is golden promise. They are sort of the same thing, but the golden promise is "warmer" tasting.

I'd go with a single base malt, just to make it easier and so you can see what golden promise as a base malt tastes like. I used 10 pounds of it today in my IPA!

Second, you have too much in the way of bittering hops and not enough late additions. IPAs are hoppy, not just bitter, so you need hops in the later additions, specifically after 20 minutes left in the boil. Horizon hops are good for bittering, not so much for flavor/aroma and I'd leave them out completely this time if you want to use warrior for bittering.

I'm not a huge fan of crystal 10L and carapils in an IPA, but it's ok. I'd probably change it up to a darker, less sweet crystal, especially if you're using golden promise basemalt.

You've got a decent base for a good recipe there, though.

I'd redo it slightly, like this;

12 lbs Pale Malt (Golden Promise)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
some victory malt if you want a "toasty" flavor, but it's not needed (.25 pound) because you have the golden promise base malt.

.75 oz Warrior (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Centennial (20 min)
.50 oz Ahtanum 10 minutes
.50 oz Centennial 5 minutes
.50 ahtanum flame out
.50 centennial flame out

Dry Hop:
2oz Centennial
1oz Citra

So maybe I can adjust the horizon hops and add chinook in their place. I took out the centennial off the FHW and added 1 addition at 10 mins. I know there are a ton of hops but I kinda like it that way. Max out the taste buds.

I want to keep the other grains there because I'm really looking to keep the color light and attempt to get some good head retention. I really like the color of Surly Abrasive Ale and having it be a DIPA.

12 lb Golden Promise
.5 lb Caramel 10L
.5 lb Carapils

FWH:
2oz Warrior

Aroma:
2oz Chinook
1oz Ahtanum
1oz Centennial
------Continuous add (like DFH) starting at 30 mins
1oz Centennial 5 mins
1oz Centennial 10 mins

Dry Hop: secondary
2oz Centennial
1oz Citra

I agree that the original grain bill is "fussy". There is no reason at all for 1lb MO and 1lb 2Row. Just go with GP alone or a maybe add some Munich or a little C40.

I'm also pretty sure the DFH method of continuous hopping (gimmicky) won't do much of anything other than make the last 30 mins a pain in the ass ;)

30/15/0 will be absolutely fine and would likely taste the same as the P-I-T-A method.

Just my 2c! :)

Skip the 2-row and MO... Also, for a first AG I would skip the cute 60 minute continuous addition. You need to get your system down first before devoting half of the boil to a continuous hop addition. If you want BIG hop flavor then do a 60 minute boil but add your hops at FWH, 20, 15, 10, 5, flameout, and DH. Understanding how your AG setup works is much more important than making a perfect beer the first couple times around. Once you're very comfortable with your own steps, making great beer becomes a simple byproduct of your process.

I totally understand what your saying. Once I make it to the boil there's not much that's different when it comes to equipment and I'm fine with sitting and adding hops over time. I'm sure it doesn't make it taste much different, if at all. I think it makes your beer unique to do different stuff, kinda the idea with the "fussy" grain bill. You make it more your own by doing different things. Just my .02

I totally understand what your saying. Once I make it to the boil there's not much that's different when it comes to equipment and I'm fine with sitting and adding hops over time. I'm sure it doesn't make it taste much different, if at all. I think it makes your beer unique to do different stuff, kinda the idea with the "fussy" grain bill. You make it more your own by doing different things. Just my .02

I can tell you I have done the same thing but sometimes simple is better. My amber ale although good is nothing award winning and the grain bill is stupid fussy. You should consider investing in something like beersmith to hone recipes such as this because it makes things a lot easier. Also be careful with the amount of centenial since it has a strong flavor and you may end up overpowering the other hops. Huge fan of warrior and i think as a FWH it will make an interesting beer. Also for your first beer you may want to do something a bit more simple or something known to be successfull. If you dont end up liking this, it could be either because the recipe wasn't the best OR that you did something wrong....the problem with doing a custom recipe is you never quite know until you know....

Ok cool thanks. I'll let you know what happens and how it turns out. Still a bit nervous that I'm going to mess something up. Either way though in the end I should end up with beer.

IMO carapils doesn't add much flavor, and the 10L will help alot with head retention anyway. I'd drop the carapils and add more 10L

With all that hopping, make sure you get it chilled fast too. The longer it sits at 140* or above the more hoppiness goes up in the steam.

Back