Check out my "Hoppy Guiness" Black IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
Made this last night with a friend. It was both of our idea to make a Black IPA but he formulated the recipe since I've been kind of dominating that arena in the first few batches that we've made. I felt he went overboard on the black malt but I didn't want to make a big deal about it. We missed our OG by a few points but we're not too worried about it.

Here is what he came up with:
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
32% 3 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
32% 3 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 ~
21% 2 0 Roasted Barley 25 300 ~
11% 1 0 Flaked Barley 30 2 ~
5% 0 8 Black Malt 28 550 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.054 measured
(1.060 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.016 / 4.1° Plato
(1.014 to 1.017)
Color
52° SRM / 103° EBC
(Black)
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Galena pellet 13.2
boil 20 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 9.2
boil 10 mins 0.75 Saaz pellet 3.2
boil 5 mins 0.25 Saaz pellet 3.2
Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
48.4 IBU / 13 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
5.9% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
198 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet info

Any idea if this will be drinkable? Any chance it'll be good? I tasted it the sample that we measured and it was actually pretty good, a bit sweet but not overly coffee-ish or bitter.

With 2 lbs of roasted barley and a lb of flaked plus some black malt I don't think you could characterize this as anything but a stout. 26% is high for roasted malt even in a stout, and most folks use some type of debittered malt for the roasted contribution in their black IPA. The IBU's would also be a little low for a black IPA (actually under-hopped in general for an IPA). Not saying it will be bad, just not the style you were aiming for I think. That's a lot of roasted malt, might have to let this one mellow a bit.

Way too much roasted barley for any beer. I suspect it will taste like burned coffee.

Two pounds of roasted barley is a lot. I used that much in my latest RIS, but it clocked in at 1.114 and I still have yet to open a bottle since packaging it in May. I'd just let it go the course, but probably plan on brewing another recipe pretty soon if this one does turn out to be charcoal in a glass. If the hydrometer sample tasted okay then you may be in the clear, but the change from wort from beer is a pretty drastic one.

Agreed. Way too much roasted barley. And a lot of flaked oats here as well. I hate Saaz for the late additions in this style; and you need a dryhop of some kind IMO (though it's not mandatory). The biggest let down for me is a sweet IPA with not enough late additions and little to no dryhop. You're adding fuel to the fire by making it too roasty, toasty, dark, acridly bitter from the malt selection/amounts, and full-bodied.

Slighly off topic but I have an oatmeal stout on tap and I make a variation of the Black & Tan with an IPA and called it Black Hops.

Way too much roasted barley for any beer. I suspect it will taste like burned coffee.

Yeah, I think you may be right but I had to let my partner do his thing. I felt it was a bit too much of a good thing on many fronts. I've formulated 4 of our recipes thus far and they have all been good but I don't want to dominate.

I do hope that the fact that the sample I had was drinkable bodes well for the beer but I don't expect much.

:ban:

With 2 lbs of roasted barley and a lb of flaked plus some black malt I don't think you could characterize this as anything but a stout. 26% is high for roasted malt even in a stout, and most folks use some type of debittered malt for the roasted contribution in their black IPA. The IBU's would also be a little low for a black IPA (actually under-hopped in general for an IPA). Not saying it will be bad, just not the style you were aiming for I think. That's a lot of roasted malt, might have to let this one mellow a bit.

Yeah I just called it a black IPA but it's not. It was originally supposed to be hoppy guiness, at this point we're hoping for hoppy imperial stout due to overuse of roasted barley and black malt.

Back