Cheapskate wants final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyjudd

Reaction score
I'm the cheapskate. I haven't thrown down $25 yet for Beersmith.

I pitched a brew two weeks ago and was going to check final gravity, and then i realized hells bells, I made this brew up. How the deuce would I know what the final gravity is supposed to be?

Ingredients below. Can anyone beer smith it up for me? Someday, when I am the president of the great United States I will add you to my cabinet and we will rule the world together.

3 lbs light dme

1 lb amber dme

1/2 0z willamette

1/2 0z cascade

1/2 pound simpsons special grain

1/2 pound caramel 60

Safali S-04 yeast.

This isn't the right answer, but I will post it anyway. Do what I do. Wait three or four weeks and bottle it. It is what it is. It is getting close to 10:00 o'clock... Check out my signature.

I'm the cheapskate. I haven't thrown down $25 yet for Beersmith.

I pitched a brew two weeks ago and was going to check final gravity, and then i realized hells bells, I made this brew up. How the deuce would I know what the final gravity is supposed to be?

Ingredients below. Can anyone beer smith it up for me? Someday, when I am the president of the great United States I will add you to my cabinet and we will rule the world together.

3 lbs light dme

1 lb amber dme

1/2 0z willamette

1/2 0z cascade

1/2 pound simpsons special grain

1/2 pound caramel 60

Safali S-04 yeast.

I plugged this into BeerTools Pro, and for a 5 gallon batch you should have a starting gravity around 1.040. I couldnt find simpsons special grain, I assumed you meant Briess Special Roast, so I used that instead. Safale S-04 will probably give you between 65-75 percent attenuation, so I would anticipate a final gravity between 1.010 and 1.013 or so. Regardless, once your gravity readings remain stable for a few days and the gravity is in or near this range, the beer should be ready to package.

I have a hydrometer but am unable to calculate final gravity due to my brew being a recipe that I pulled out of my a**.

Hydrometer reads 1.020. Which seems too high. Giving it a swirl to see if I can get the yeasty beasties to kick start.

Thanks ISU brew. I dry hopped an ounce of cascade. Does that screw anything up? Someday I'll get serious and actually figure out what the hell I'm doing.....

Alcohol content is a disappointing 3 percent.

I agree that a hydrometer is far more important than software, I wait a month or so in primary and check the gravity, then check it a few days later if it is the same, that is my final gravity. I gave up on trying to hit a target FG, the yeast may attenuate higher or lower, etc. when the yeast have decided they are done, they are done. give it a couple more weeks and recheck your gravity.

Yeah. I unfortunately ordered my hydrometer from Northern Brewer a few days after pitching the wort. No biggie. I think I've created a red-headed step child of the English bitter family. Using the calculator recommended above, I've got a a FG of 1.006. Definitely needs another week at least.

For the past year, I've been occasionally making an extract brew and just screwing around with beer. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are very bad. But I hooked up my new Johnson control to my deep freeze the other day and the wife bought me a keg and C02 for Christmas, so it's time to get serious. :)

OG would be about 1.038 for a 5 gallon batch. You can expect about 75% attenuation with that yeast. FG should be about 1.009/1.011.

You don't need a calculator, you just need to know how much sugar is in each ingredient.

You will not get down to 1.006.

With a pound of crystal (I'm assuming simpson's special is a crystal, as I have never heard of it), and some amber DME (which also has crystal), I'd be surprised if this finished below 1.015. I wouldn't be surprised at all if at 1.020 it was finished.

Beersmith doesn't give an accurate projected FG anyway. That comes from you, not from Beersmith.

You can pretty much guarentee that if you leave the wort in the primary fermenter for 4 weeks you will obtain final gravity. It may not be what your looking for but it will at that point be what it is.

Back