Cheapest batch you've ever made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry posted that on accident. I'm trying to see if I'm the only one that can't buy a batch without having to buy a few extras.

In the last 30 batches I've made only one was I able to just buy the ingredients at about $24. But it seems I can't ever get out of the brew shop without for less than $75. Buying little extras here and there.

My cheapest batch was a dunkelweisse

4lbs German 2-row
5.7 German wheat
8oz German Munich
8oz cara Munich
.1oz British choc

Mashed at 150 for 90min

1 oz 4.5 A.A. Tettenager for 90min

Wyeast 320 American heffeweissen yeast

The IPA I have in primary right now cost me $16 walking out the LHBS door, but I used washed yeast and I had bought the hops in bulk @ roughly $1/oz, so total cost for this batch is around $20.

I am usually around $30 a batch. Varies from a simple blond to DIPA. Grain really isn't the expensive part, its the hops and yeast, candi sugar, spices, fruit, etc that add up. $2 for dry yeast or $7 for liquid, 5 dollar difference in a batch. I usually get hops around $2 an oz. try and pick things on sale or cheap, occasionally will buy a pound.

Buying a 55lb sack of grain will shave a little bit, washing and reusing yeast, buying hops in bulk. I think 15-20 dollars is about as cheap as you are going to get for an average 5 gal batch. You could also look into partigyle brewing, spend a little more up front, but get a double batch.

Just finished making!
9# 2row x.99=$8.91
4# minute rice x.87=$3.48
3oz cascade hopps x.62=$1.86
Us-05 slurry= Free
Total $14.25 for 11 gallon of 1.037 crystal clear lawnmower beer!
That's a keg for $7.12 or. 13 cents a bottle!

The Miller Lite clone I made couldn't be too expensive. 2 lbs of 2-row, 2 lbs of 6-row, 1.5 lbs of flaked corn. How much ever Centenial hops it took me to get to 17 IBU + another 0.6 oz. at flameout. Packet of US-05 and a TBS Amylase. Couldn't be much more than $15 total.

My cheapest was 5 gals of an Ordinary Bitter for about $11. My typical batch is around $17-$20. My LHBS has really good prices and a military discount.

I always end up blowing way past the 20$ mark. I have a problem making hop bursted pale ales. I end up using 9oz total and that gets pricey.

My cheapest beer might be my porter. 12lbs of base grain, 8oz of c60/chocolate malt and 4oz black malt, 1 oz cent hops, and some wlp002/s04/w1968. Of course I use Munich as my base so this beer isn't that cheap either. I am in this hobby for the beer not for the saving money aspect.

I do try to wash all my yeast, this saves a lot of money quick and doesn't sacrifice quality. Having a yeast bank of two or three washed yeast you can make so many different varieties.

Since I buy grain and hops in bulk, re-use/wash yeast, and have an all electric brewery, my batches are quite affordable.

I recently did a munich SMaSH w/ cluster hops on my stove w/ a heat stick
8.5# munich and 1.5oz cluster and free US-05 is around $6.50 bucks for 5 gallons.

The Miller Lite clone I made couldn't be too expensive. 2 lbs of 2-row, 2 lbs of 6-row, 1.5 lbs of flaked corn. How much ever Centenial hops it took me to get to 17 IBU + another 0.6 oz. at flameout. Packet of US-05 and a TBS Amylase. Couldn't be much more than $15 total.

I made the same recipe... super affordable

$3.50 batch of pale ale. Just a few pounds of two row (I buy in bulk), 3/4 ounce Belma hops, adjuncted with a lb of cornstarch packing peanuts in the mash that came with my last order from AHS! Not the best beer, but at least I can say I did it!

Made a Brown Ale for $11 (not including propane) with homegrown hops and Nottingham yeast the brew your own store used to sell in bulk ($1.32 per batch).

I just did the Miller Lite/Lawn Mower BMC, I estimate under 10 bucks, I buy bulk grains and hops. I also pitched the yeast on a cake from last months Rye IPA.

6 lbs 2-row and pilsner: $2.75
1.5 Corn Meal from super market: $1.50
3oz Hops: $3.00
1 TBS Amylase: $0.20
S-05 Yeast: $2.50/2 = $1.25
CO2: $0.20
Total: $8.90

So under $9.00 for 5 gal!

Back