Cheaper regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I was looking a a multiple regulator setup and the prices seam a little high for what they are.

Can I just get one high pressure to 100 psi regulator, then buy cheap home depot style air regulators to drop to my final drive pressures?

Are they not safe to use with food? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

You mean air regulators like the ones installed on air tanks? They are designed to regulate up to 200 PSI and are not designed to work well at 9 - 12 PSI.

thargrav said:
You mean air regulators like the ones installed on air tanks? They are designed to regulate up to 200 PSI and are not designed to work well at 9 - 12 PSI.

Yes, air regulators. There are some that regulate more precisely than 200 psi. I will try to find one to post.

Aside from pressure rating is there any reason not to use one?

The air regulators won't work properly. They are barely more than a ball valve. Although they seem to drop the pressure going to an air tool, they basically just restrict the flow.

JRems said:
The air regulators won't work properly. They are barely more than a ball valve. Although they seem to drop the pressure going to an air tool, they basically just restrict the flow.

I don't think this is correct, although I don't have proof. A ball valve would just make it take longer to get back up to pressure, it could not reduce pressure at all.

I bought a cheaper regulator to use and will be hooking it up monday, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Many people have tried this, and it doesn't work well. The ball valve comparison is just an analogy. What you will most likely experience is that the pressure slowly creeps over time. It will probably appear to be working, and a day or two later you'll wake up to find the pressure has doubled, and your beer is overcarbed. Who knows, you might get lucky and find one that holds pressure accurately, but it will be the one in the pile that far exceeds the manufacturing specs.

Ok, we'll see, that makes more sense.

FWIW, the ones I got are rated for 0-60 psi, which is why I figured they should be more accurate.

Back