Cheaper alternative the the Thermapen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could not find a bad review on the Thermapen anywhere but found many other brands comparing their product to the Thermapen. That makes me feel pretty confident the Thermapen is worth the money.

Just be sure to test its accuracy and recalibrate if necessary. After having read all the good things about the ThermaPen and having already had the far cheaper RT600C, also from ThermoWorks, I figured I'd buy one for the most accurate readings. Well, tested it with boiling water against my lab thermometer and the RT600C. The ThermaPen simply would not give a 212 reading, kept reading 209 or 210 (can't recall exactly) while the lab and RT600C both read out 212. So, I returned it. At the time I didn't know there was a way to re-calibrate them as the switches are in the battery compartment. I found out later. Strange because the info appears to be in the instruction booklet but I didn't see the calibration info. If you need it, here's the PDF:

http://thermoworks.com/pdf/user_manuals/Thermapens/Thermapen_Splash_Proof_Calibration.pdf

Rev.

Just be sure to test its accuracy and recalibrate if necessary. After having read all the good things about the ThermaPen and having already had the far cheaper RT600C, also from ThermoWorks, I figured I'd buy one for the most accurate readings. Well, tested it with boiling water against my lab thermometer and the RT600C. The ThermaPen simply would not give a 212 reading, kept reading 209 or 210 (can't recall exactly) while the lab and RT600C both read out 212. So, I returned it. At the time I didn't know there was a way to re-calibrate them as the switches are in the battery compartment. I found out later. Strange because the info appears to be in the instruction booklet but I didn't see the calibration info. If you need it, here's the PDF:

http://thermoworks.com/pdf/user_manuals/Thermapens/Thermapen_Splash_Proof_Calibration.pdf

Rev.

Will do, thanks for the link.

MaxOut BrewStation

A 15$ digital thermometer from PickYour-Mart would most likely serve for your intended purpose, although the thermoworks posted by itsme_timd looks to be a great alternative.

The response time isn't as quick but the Thermoworks RT600C is just as accurate as the Thermapen in my non-scientific tests. I don't use mine much as you really do get spoiled by the 2 second response time of the Thermapen, where the RT600C has a 5-6 second response time, however it's only $24 normally and as of this post on sale for $19.

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

This is the way I went when facing the same issues of thermopen cost, and I love it. Would recommend for brewing 10 out of 10 times. It is easy, fast, super accurate, and I can use it for meat too.

I have the cdn 450. It can be calibrated with ice water and is water resistant. I use it to calibrate my other cheaper thermometers before brewing. The thin probe is great for small fillets in the kitchen. I have had mine for about nine months and am very happy with it. It does take about twenty seconds to get a precise (one decimal) temp. I use this thing everywhere!

Well, almost everywhere...

The 301WA unit is fantastic in my system. The top-reading configuration is perfect for my installation. When I checked the calibration to my NIST mercury thermometer, the 301 was within a half degree F of agreement. Because it has an adjustment screw, it was brought into agreement. Excellent unit. Far better value than a thermapen.

I also have a 600C for utility readings around the brewery. It produced readings that were within 1 degree F of agreement with my calibration thermometer. Again, a very good value, but just a notch lower that the 301WA, but it meets my expectations as a utility instrument.

Rev.

Keep in mind that water boils at 212 only at sea level. 210-211 is correct for common elevations.

Keep in mind that water boils at 212 only at sea level. 210-211 is correct for common elevations.

Altitude (feet) Boiling Point (F/C)
Sea Level212.0 / 100.0
500. 211.1 / 99.50
1000. 210.2 / 99.01
1500. 209.3 / 98.52
2000. 208.5 / 98.03
2500. 207.6 / 97.54
3000. 206.7 / 97.05
3500. 205.8 / 96.57
4000. 204.9 / 96.08
4500. 204.1 / 95.60
5000. 203.2 / 95.12
5500. 202.4 / 94.64
6000. 201.5 / 94.16
6500. 200.6 / 93.69
7000. 199.8 / 93.21
7500. 198.9 / 92.74
8000. 198.1 / 92.26
8500. 197.2 / 91.79
9000. 196.4 / 91.32
9500. 195.5 / 90.86
10000 194.7 / 90.39

Source: Boiling Point of Water vs. Altitude, K. Loomis, New Mexico State University Apache Point Observatory

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also have an RT600C, works great. Although I kinda like using an dial thermometer at first when mashing, then switch over to the digital once I get close - when I'm sweating and straining stirring the mash, it's nice to watch the needle move on the dial, rather than concentrating on reading the numbers on a digital thermometer.

I also have an RT600C. It has worked like a champ for a year now. It measures very close to my BrewMometer in the HLT and when checking mash temp controlled via PID/eHERMS the RT600C is within a degree. I love it for on-the-fly temp checks. $19 on Amazon.

Come on man, I'm not stupid and I'm in Bayonne NJ, not on a mountain. My city averages 33 feet above sea level. I also said I compared against my lab thermometer and thermoworks digital thermometer. Sorry if I sound a bit crass, but somehow I just knew someone would say this when I believe it's fairly common knowledge.

Rev.

Come on man, I'm not stupid and I'm in Bayonne NJ, not on a mountain. My city averages 33 feet above sea level. I also said I compared against my lab thermometer and thermoworks digital thermometer. Sorry if I sound a bit crass, but somehow I just knew someone would say this when I believe it's fairly common knowledge.

Rev.

In my experience it isn't always common knowledge. Most people don't have any idea of their elevation if they don't live on the coast. Just trying to make sure someone else doesn't make this mistake. Also, get over yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to agree with Jsbeckton regarding "common knowledge." I now live at 4,000 feet, so 204.9 for me. The city I used to live in averaged about 1350 feet, and I would bet money that at least 9 out of 10 people, if asked, would have said that water boiled at 212 on their stoves. The average person doesn't pay that much attention to science.

What seems to be less common knowledge is that the weather can also change the boiling point by over a degree in each direction as the air pressure changes. Mineral content in the water can also change the boiling point. You also have to do this measurement with distilled water in an almost closed boiling vessel using very gentle heat, stirring the water, and you have to correct for barometric pressure.

Using the Weather Underground pressure data, over the past few days, the boiling point of pure water in Bayonne, NJ, has varied from 211.495 F to 212.886 F.

4 years later. Any new ones out there? My Thermapen bit the dust. I don't want to bother with sending it to be fixed, even if they would. (I took it apart)

I have a cheap meat thermometer that seems accurate but is pretty slow.

I would want FAST and reasonably accurate.

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_5?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lavatools+javelin&sprefix=lavat,aps,174&crid=1S0VKZTPHZIWE
That's what I have. Works just fine.

4 years later. Any new ones out there? My Thermapen bit the dust. I don't want to bother with sending it to be fixed, even if they would. (I took it apart)

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_5?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lavatools+javelin&sprefix=lavat,aps,174&crid=1S0VKZTPHZIWE
I have used one of those Lavatools for several years. It works great, has a solid feel and easily reads in under 5 seconds.

About a month ago I needed another one to keep in a different location so I took a chance on this because it was half the price of the Lavatools. It works fine but takes a few seconds longer to read than the Lavatools one however it feels flimsy like it might not survive a drop onto a hard surface.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHHLB3W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

I think once you're used to the Thermapen it will be harder to accept anything less. I came from the opposite direction, using a $16 CDN-DTQ450X which works fine, but is slower and tough to hold at times. I sprang for a Thermapen when they ran a special on the Mk4. It's quite amazing how fast and accurate it is. From what I understand, the difference is using a thermocouple instead of an NTC. Possibly overkill, but I use it for everything, not just brewing related.

They run "open box" specials on the original Thermapen for $63 (this one ends today). The Mk4 "open box" specials go for around $78, IIRC. HomebrewFinds keeps track of those specials, or subscribe to Thermowork's email list.

What went wrong with your old one?

Last edited:
I think once you're used to the Thermapen it will be harder to accept anything less.

They run "open box" specials on the original Thermapen for $63 (this one ends today). The Mk4 "open box" specials go for around $78, IIRC. HomebrewFinds keeps track of those specials, or subscribe to Thermowork's email list.

What went wrong with your old one?

I am afraid of accepting less. As I said I have a digital meat thermometer and it takes a while to zero in on the temperature. Maybe 10 - 20 seconds... But that is too long.

I have seen the open box specials but was wondering if a $25 thermometer was out there now that is 90% of the Thermapen.

What went wrong?: 25.8 - 78.4 - 147.3 - 218.5 - 343.9 - 587.3 - Hi - Err in sequence.

Most of those pointed to before are Chinese knockoffs, even lookalikes. I doubt they use thermocouples, so relying on slower NTCs instead. If 6-10 seconds response time is fast enough for you, then it won't matter much. Not sure about their accuracy. As you said, a "$25" instrument should be fast and accurate enough to measure temps in our typical range, or is that too much to expect?
The Thermapen is likely way overpriced and probably not more than a $10-20 instrument either. It's all about marketing, price points, and perceived value. The good thing is, they seem to deliver up to their promise, which is worth something.

I found my CDN thermometer showing a certain number sequence time and time again during the mash, which made me wonder on the algorithm used, and thus its accuracy... :tank: That's when the Thermapen was finally ordered. Haven't looked back since.

Did water or steam get inside? That's when most electronics start to become incoherent. The Mk4 is much more waterproof than the Classic. Too bad you took it apart, I would have taken it up with the company first.

Did water or steam get inside? That's when most electronics start to become incoherent. The Mk4 is much more waterproof than the Classic. Too bad you took it apart, I would have taken it up with the company first.

There was some goo inside. Probably wort. I cleaned it off but that did not help.

I decided it wasn't worth it to me to package it up, send it for repair, Any $$ to repair?, and wait for it's return. The thermometer was about 6 1/2 years old. I think I got my money's worth.

I am now on the fence deciding if the one I linked would be good enough, or to get another Thermapen. I was more than satisfied with the Thermapen. Just wondering if I can get 90% of the results with one costing less than half as much.

Last edited:
If you can dissolve that goo and remove it, the unit may spring back to life. Whatcha got to lose?
How about some lukewarm distilled water and a soft toothbrush? If traces are being bridged by a conducting substance, the electrons can move in unpredictable ways, throwing a monkey wrench into the system.

Back in the days I've revived quite a few electronics suffering from semi-conducting substance abuse (like sea water or dried on rusty water). Some featured early surface mount technology. Although it sounds strange when dealing with electronics, simply washing and brushing them off with water helps in many cases, as long as components that cannot get wet are removed or shielded appropriately. Try to remove as much of the gooey wort as possible, paying attention to areas where it seeped underneath components and their legs. An air gun or a stream of CO2 can help with dissolved goo removal as well speed drying the components. A little 70-90% rubbing alcohol may help with that too.

Yup, those $20-25 units can do 90-95% of a Thermapen. It's that 5-10% where the difference lies that cost us 300% more.

I cleaned off the metal parts where the contacts would be with vinegar then wiped that again with water to get off the acid, dried it and tried again = same thing. Thermoworks could probably have fixed it but I will just get a new one. I threw it in the trash already so there will be no more attempts to fix it.

If I used the $24 one and got 2 years and replaced it 3 times, I would still be ahead cost wise....

The decision to be made is to risk on a cheap one or buy something more expensive that I know is good.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative the the Thermapen that has similar accuracy and response time?

(sorry for the typo in the title)

MaxOut Brewstation

I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMYLXDY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

to replace an aging digital thermometer. I use a very accurate floating dairy thermometer in the mash and check all of my thermometers with a lab quality instrument. This digital calibrates to 32F automatically and proves to be very accurate through the strike water range. I haven't, and see no reason to, try it beyond that. Also, it comes well accessorized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a couple of these, which are also made by thermoworks. They're reasonably fast reading and inexpensive enough to have a couple around.

I'm getting ready to buy the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. Mostly for my grilling habit but it will also serve well at checking brewing temps. I like the Thermapen MK4 but all of the side by sides I've seen make me actually like the Javelin better and it's half the price.

Javelin Pro for me. Works great. Never had an instance where I could wait 3 seconds for a reading, but not 5.

Back