Cheap or expensive refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helloworld

Reaction score
I'm considering a cheap refractometer from Amazon, but I am curious if there are any big differences between a cheap and an expensive one. The models I am comparing have the same features, but from my experience you get what you pay for.

My cheap one from Amazon has served me well. To me, this seems like a good place to go for the "economy" level piece of equipment.

I have a $20+/- ATC one from Amazon with Brix and SG. Works great. I even checked it vs a hydrometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a $20+/- ATC one from Amazon with Brix and SG. Works great. I even checked it vs a hydrometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've got one of the cheap ones from Amazon and it's never even close to what my hydrometer is saying. I've even chilled a hydro sample complete to the calibrated 60° and they don't agree. YMMV or I've got a bum hydrometer.

I think the main advantage to spending more is that they're easier to read. It can be hard to determine the exact reading when looking through the cheaper ones, but this is a hobby, not rocket science, so close enough.

I went 'middle-of-the-road' and am very pleased with it.
VEE GEE BTX-1
41Sqe1gDGsL.jpg

Easily calibrated with DI water.
Only affordable one I found that stated it's accuracy up front.

Also nice when a fellow brewer borrows it and smiles back . . . man, this is nice.

'da Kid

Latest posts

Back