Cheap method to keep keg cold for party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be serving one of my homebrews from a corny keg at an outdoor party. I have hardware to attach a faucet directly to the beverage out port, so all I need is a way to keep the keg cold.

I don't plan to do this often, so I don't want something expensive or a hassle to store.

Has anyone come up with a great idea for this? Searches just come up with neoprene sleeves and such...expensive and not super effective over a 4-6 hour time frame in 90+ degree temps.

My friend that owns the lbs I shop at puts his keg in a cooler with ice. Don't know if yours will fit but a larger vessel that is insulated may be serviceable.

I don't keg so I am just thinking out loud...

you could just rent or build your own jockey box....you wouldnt use the keg tap you have tho

Beer pumps from the bottom of the keg.

Buy a small plastic trash. Insert the keg and surround with ice. Add cold water and a handful of salt to make it colder.

Keep it under water and ice and you're good to go.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I was thinking about the kitchen trash can. Then the link to the cooler reminded me I have a "cube" style cooler that is tall enough to be pretty effective. I'll use that with some water and salt (just like when we make ice cream) and wrap a blanket around the part that's exposed.

Why use salt?

The amount of salt you would need to make a noticeable difference is more than a handful.

Ice water temperature is already colder than proper beer serving temperature.

Back