Cheap Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
I was just at MoreBeer today and noticed that they had honey in 5gal buckets for $1/lb. I passed this time but damn, that's a great price. I think I'll have to go back and get some. I did pick up a Blind Pig IPA kit so I have 2 batches to brew next week.

I think I'll have to try another batch of my ginger Cyser. Last time I made it, it went to about 17% and was wonderful after a year or so conditioning.

dantodd said:
I was just at MoreBeer today and noticed that they had honey in 5gal buckets for $1/lb. I passed this time but damn, that's a great price. I think I'll have to go back and get some. I did pick up a Blind Pig IPA kit so I have 2 batches to brew next week.

I think I'll have to try another batch of my ginger Cyser. Last time I made it, it went to about 17% and was wonderful after a year or so conditioning.
That would have been a good find a number of months back when I was putting together a mead w/ 18 pounds of mesquite honey! :D

one reason I didn't get them is that a 5gal bucket is 60lbs and I have no idea how long it would take me to get through that.

We are having a baby on May 8th and I thought about making a couple batches of mead for that.

dantodd said:
one reason I didn't get them is that a 5gal bucket is 60lbs and I have no idea how long it would take me to get through that.

We are having a baby on May 8th and I thought about making a couple batches of mead for that.

Congrats on the baby!

Join Costco now, you'll save money on diapers, formula (if you use it) and wipes. In addition, they have 5 pounds of SueBee honey for about $6.00+

Thanks guys... pretty well read up from the first one.

We've been members of Costco (Price Club) for 20 years now. Used to be that you could really count on saving money on anything you get there. Now it's a little more irregular, some things are about the same but in gigantic portions, others are still a great deal.

HB99, do you have a posting with your Barkback Ginger Mead recipe?

Cheesefood said:
Who's feeding any babies any honey? HB is drunk as usual.

Oddly enough, my friend's pediatrician told them to coat the nipple with honey if they were having problem getting their kid to latch on! This kid is 5 years old, so it was that recent that he gave that advice.

My wife and I were like "get another pediatrician."

dantodd said:
HB99, do you have a posting with your Barkback Ginger Mead recipe?
I used it straight out of Papzian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing...if you have a copy...I didn't add any fruit so you can skip over that part.

Other than that I can't help you at the moment since I'm on the road until tomorrow night.

LOL....

The one thing everyone cares more about that beer...

Kids....

Well, breastfeeding at least.

Back