Cheap grain mill suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a cheap grain mill. I have a pasta maker that I have seen people make into grain mills which I thought of doing. Also, I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038NPJVG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but I see mixed reviews on sometimes the metal being grinded into whatever you are grinding... which isn't something I want obviously.
Anyways, I don't want to spend a lot of money but wanted to hear any opinions on people's thoughts on what they use and like and dislike.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mill just like that, might even be the same supplier. I have had no problems except sore arms after 20# of grain. I have heard of others running the mill a bit before hand to make sure no metal scrapes off, I tried that but nothing came off for me. I would suggest hooking up a drill, I'm working on that now but the bolt is metric so it's hard to find the right piece for it. I'm getting a decent crush and 75-80% eff.

I am perfectly content with my Corona mill. It's cheap, and it works. I have done nothing to modify it.

I am perfectly content with my Corona mill. It's cheap, and it works. I have done nothing to modify it.

This, except I did put a bolt thru where the cotter pin comes factory-installed to reduce wobbling.

$30 plus a few Homer buckets and a piece of 2x4...you're in business. If you want to hook a drill up to it to save sore-arms, easy to do that too.

Mine looks a little different but I paid over $30. For $6.95 I say go for it.

plus $22.50 shipping and handling :p

Still a totally reasonable price though. I just bought one that is likely the same manufacturer shipped for the same price (give or take a dollar). I modified it to hook a drill up to it and it works well. The hopper is definitely a nice addition. It does like to throw the grains all over the place though so I made a little shield out of aluminum foil to keep the mess down and so the grains would actually end up where I wanted them to go.

Basic Crankenstein mill.

Or Corona, but having no experience with them I would suggest the basic crankenstein mill. < $100, you build your own hopper and mount it. I used a cabinet I found on the side of the road and a drywall hopper.

discounttommy sells the same mill (probably) for $25 shipped. Just ordered one the other day.

A lot of people use this style - as others have said, mounting it inside a bucket is a popular and functional option even for big grain bills. There are any number of ways to increase the hopper capacity - from HVAC fittings found at any hardware store to plastic jugs.

I plan to use mine for specialty grains and adjuncts and mill my base malts at the LHBS.

I wouldn't worry much about metal in the grind. People who get that are probably going for a fine cornmeal or flour where we are only looking to crush grain. You should have no metal-on-metal contact using this to crack grain.

And even if you did, it's just iron.

plus $22.50 shipping and handling :p

Still a totally reasonable price though. I just bought one that is likely the same manufacturer shipped for the same price (give or take a dollar). I modified it to hook a drill up to it and it works well. The hopper is definitely a nice addition. It does like to throw the grains all over the place though so I made a little shield out of aluminum foil to keep the mess down and so the grains would actually end up where I wanted them to go.

What? Shipping is over 3 times the price of the mill? I guess it was too good to be true. I have one like this from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prago-Cereal-and-Multi-Grain-Mill/14223932

Back