Cheap Coffee Grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
On the weekends I enjoy brewing a pot of coffee with my French press. I buy a lb of beans from the store and grind it there. That lb will last me a month if not more. Towards the end of the lb the flavor drops off as expected.

I think that if I buy the beans whole and grind when needed, my coffee will be better off. Which grinder would be best for under $30? I am not opposed to a manual, but would probably go with a burr style. Any suggestions?

I have Been using a French press for 10 years + and I use a cheep black & decker blade coffee grinder . The French press needs a corse grind and I find it’s just a time issue on getting the right size grind.

Just switched from blade grinder to this burr grinder and am fairly happy with it. Unrelated to the grind, the collection cup has static cling so a bit of the grinds stay stuck to the sides. However, I still recommend it because my pour-overs have had a noticeable improvement from the coarse grind.

Chefman Coffee Grinder / Electric Burr Freshly Grinds Up to 8 oz Beans, Large Hopper and 17 Grinding Options for 2-12 Cups, Cleaning Brush Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SBFR8K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The burr grinder we use is NOT cheap, so I'm not even going to suggest it. However, I found a manual one (adjustable spice mill) at goodwill for $5 which does a pretty good job. I do french press and aeropress.

You can get a Hario Mini Slim manual burr grinder for about $30, and that most certainly get you where you want to go. I used one daily (at least) for my French press, and it was wonderful. For an extra five or ten bucks, you can get the new "Mini Slim Plus," which is supposed to be even better (smoother operation). It might be right on your budget or a little above, but you won't regret it.

I grind 30g of beans for French roast in about 30-45 seconds, depending on how enthusiastic I am.

Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes of grinding.

I would recommend a Porlex manual ceramic burr grinder. I use it for Aero Press, Kalita, French Press and even stove top espresso.

Latest posts

Back