Cheap Carboys & Bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being in the planning & thinking stage of going commercial, I've been looking around for cheap (cheaper than homebrew shops) wine bottles. I was finally directed to a glass distributor in New York (Saint Gobain's regional distributor for New England). Waterloo Container, in Waterloo, NY, has 5 gallon carboys for $11.05, and 6 gallon carboys for $13.20. They also stock 12 oz. beer bottles for $6.35/case. There are no minimums on these prices, but there are price cuts for (I think) 5+.

http://www.waterloocontainer.com/index.htm

Prices look great- I wonder how bad they nail you for shipping.

No idea yet, but being a distributor, I'll assume that they charge exact shipping. They're making the money from the bulk sales (pallet/truckload at a time to the big wineries & breweries). I guess I'll find out when I place my first order.

HOLY CRAP!!!!.....That's the best prices I've ever seen on this stuff. I just submitted a quote...I'll let you know how it goes.

I smell group buy! Maybe several group buys...
Heck, I only have 2 carboys - I wonder how many come on a pallet - I bet I could use them all if SWMBO is ok w/the amount of space I'll be taking up - it's already an "issue"...

LouT said:
I smell group buy! Maybe several group buys...
Heck, I only have 2 carboys - I wonder how many come on a pallet - I bet I could use them all if SWMBO is ok w/the amount of space I'll be taking up - it's already an "issue"...

A pallet of 5 gallon carboys is 80 pieces, $780 for the pallet = $9.75 each...:rockin:
but WTF are you gonna do with 80 carboys? LOL
(6 gallon carboys is 36 pieces @ $428.80 & 3 gallons is 100 pieces @ $805)

I'm totally down for a group buy if anyone in Maine is interested... I know for sure I'll be buying from them in the near future. My current order is something along the lines of 10 cases of wine bottles, a couple cases of beer bottles, and a couple carboys. Shoot me a PM if yer in ME and interested in getting in on that...

P.S. If anyone else makes a group buy, let me know, cuz I ned to get in on some kind of a referral bonus... ;)

Adolphus79 said:
A pallet of 5 gallon carboys is 80 pieces, $780 for the pallet = $9.75 each...:rockin:
but WTF are you gonna do with 80 carboys? LOL
(6 gallon carboys is 36 pieces @ $428.80 & 3 gallons is 100 pieces @ $805)

I'm totally down for a group buy if anyone in Maine is interested... I know for sure I'll be buying from them in the near future. My current order is something along the lines of 10 cases of wine bottles, a couple cases of beer bottles, and a couple carboys. Shoot me a PM if yer in ME and interested in getting in on that...

P.S. If anyone else makes a group buy, let me know, cuz I ned to get in on some kind of a referral bonus... ;)

Cool, I work in ME very regularly (travel for work). Yeah, I'm up for some of the 6 gallon carboys. Maybe 4 of them. I'll PM you. There are some other folks from around here that might want in on this, too. I have a pickup truck, don't mind coming up to get stuff from you and bring it down here to MA, so I guess any NH seacoast area folks, and eastern MA folks could jump in on this, too.

LouT said:
Cool, I work in ME very regularly (travel for work). Yeah, I'm up for some of the 6 gallon carboys. Maybe 4 of them. I'll PM you. There are some other folks from around here that might want in on this, too. I have a pickup truck, don't mind coming up to get stuff from you and bring it down here to MA, so I guess any NH seacoast area folks, and eastern MA folks could jump in on this, too.

I live in Arlington, MA and I'd be up for 2 of the 6 gallon carboys.

I'm interested in a group buy in the Atlanta, GA area for a few carboys and bottles if anyone else is! Those prices are very nice.

jayhoz said:
I live in Arlington, MA and I'd be up for 2 of the 6 gallon carboys.

Maybe we can get a separate group buy going for our area. Adolphus is in "the county" in Maine, about 8 hour drive north of Boston...

I'd be interested in putting down for a few carboys in the Atlanta area. Maybe we could rally a few of the LHBS to split a pallet and we'll take our ones and twos.

Keep us posted on your commercial endeavours, Adolphus.

musikguru6 said:
anyone interested in the Ithaca, NY area?

Ithaka to Waterloo is only like 40 miles, you'd be better just driving there instead of shipping... lucky bastage... :mug:

nobes341 said:
I'd be interested in putting down for a few carboys in the Atlanta area. Maybe we could rally a few of the LHBS to split a pallet and we'll take our ones and twos.

Keep us posted on your commercial endeavours, Adolphus.

I was just thinking that yesterday... group buy a pallet of carboys, take what everyone wants, and sell the rest to your LHBS... LOL

Count me in for 2 6gallon carboys. I live in Waltham, MA, but my folks are in ME and I also have a truck I can offer for transportation purposes.

Hmm, just joined HBT today... and could use an extra carboy, here, in Needham, MA.

Is there a solid group purchase in Eastern N.E. at this point...?

- jl, beginner level

We could start a thread for eastern NE group buy...
Adolphus is about 8 hours drive north of Boston, so a bit too far, even though I go up there for work it's just a car not a truck.
I think for carboys, if we want to buy a whole pallet, we're going to need about 15+ people, depending how many carboys each...

It looks like ya'll should get a Boston/MA buy going, no point in a bunch of mass'ers going in on a buy with me, just to have it shipped all the way up here, then someone having to drag them back down there...

I think I'm just gonna be stuck with my own orders for now... one of you should start a 'Boston area group buy' thread...

I don't see any forties!

How am I supposed to pour one out for my dead homies on the streets!

:D

I'm out of pocket until Thanksgiving time, but looks like there are enough eastern MA folks for us to try to put together a GB. Will try to start a GB thread around then. Anyone from eastern MA can meanwhile PM me if you want to get involved with the group buy.

Lived in waterloo for 3 years while in school. Never knew it existed. I am always back at the college for seminars and business trips. Sent an e-mail to see if local pick up is ok. If anyone in North east PA is looking for bottles or carboys i am always in waterloo

LouT said:
I'm out of pocket until Thanksgiving time, but looks like there are enough eastern MA folks for us to try to put together a GB. Will try to start a GB thread around then. Anyone from eastern MA can meanwhile PM me if you want to get involved with the group buy.

That sounds like a good time for a group buy and beer swap. :ban:

Adolphus79.. You could always have them bought and sent to mass.. and then have LouT bring you up your share in his work car.. best to send the order where the bulk of the people are..

SpamDog

I found this post while searching, I live right near Waterloo Container. I just called them and they do sell 6 gallon carboys as singles. They quoted me $13.20 plus tax. You can buy them right there if you are close enough.

OK, as you might be able to tell by my lack of posting in the past month or so, I've been pretty swamped. However... I do have some time off between Christmas and New Years, so I'll attempt to review this thread on or around the 26th of December and will PM those eastern-MA posters (and those that have PM'd me) that are interested in carboy group-buy.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
-Lou

LouT said:
OK, as you might be able to tell by my lack of posting in the past month or so, I've been pretty swamped. However... I do have some time off between Christmas and New Years, so I'll attempt to review this thread on or around the 26th of December and will PM those eastern-MA posters (and those that have PM'd me) that are interested in carboy group-buy.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
-Lou

thanks for bringing this back up.

For anyone who's curious about direct shipping from Waterloo, I contacted them and got a quote of $38 for two 6-gallon carboys to southern California, on top of the $26.40 for the carboys themselves.

So basically, it's a great deal if you're local or can do a group buy. If not, it's probably not worth the effort.

I also wanted to note that the people at Waterloo seemed very nice, helpful, and prompt in their responses, for what it's worth.

explosivebeer said:
For anyone who's curious about direct shipping from Waterloo, I contacted them and got a quote of $38 for two 6-gallon carboys to southern California, on top of the $26.40 for the carboys themselves.

So basically, it's a great deal if you're local or can do a group buy. If not, it's probably not worth the effort.

I also wanted to note that the people at Waterloo seemed very nice, helpful, and prompt in their responses, for what it's worth.

Yeah... I 've called them a couple times now, and gotten a copy of thier catalog in the mail... very nice people...
I'm planning a buy here in the next couple weeks or a month, if anyone is interested... I'm in Northern Maine though, so consider the drive up here if you want in... I'm getting 5 cases of wine bottles, 1 three gallon and a 1 five gallon, and the girl there quoted me only like $84 for a pallet, no matter if it's half full or full...

If there are any Mainers interested, I have the storage space if you want in, then want to come up and pick it up whenever...

I stopped at Waterloo Container today to buy a few things. This place is great, they have a large selection of bottles, carboy's and growlers. The people are very friendly too. I bought two 6 gallon carboys for $26.40 and 24- 22oz. beer bottles for $11.26. I think the prices are great. They had some cool re-sealable growlers with the flip tops for $6 and change. They told me the prices of carboys are going up after the 1st of the year, but, she said they will still be the cheapest around. It's probably not worth buying and paying for shipping, but if you live within and hour it's worth the drive and it's right off the NYS thruway.

Back