Cheap Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrybeggs

Reaction score
I ordered my kit, and the one component I'm missing is an appropriately sized brew pot. Where can I find one that will work for a beginner and won't break the bank?

I had a half keg that was given to me for free. SS keg that holds 7.75 gallons. I cut a 12" hole in the top, added a ball valve and thermometer and it's GTG. Cost me about $60 for the thermometer and ball valve. It would be a little more if you had to buy it obviously. I also bought a 12" lid for it but that's not required.

I have't even brewed in it yet and I'm thinking about picking up a full size 15 gallon keg to convert.

- Destin

I picked up a 9 gallon stainless steel pot from amazon made by Bayou Classic for about $70. It's worked great so far. The price on amazon has gone up to $86 now though.

If you want to droit right the first time, go stainless in the largest size you can afford. If you don't, you will end up buying it later anyhow. This is one of the items it makes sense to make the investment on the first purchase if you can afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using my 8 gal alum turkey fryer pot for 4.5 years and many, many batches all-grain. My wife asked me if I wanted a big SS pot for our 20 year anniversary in May.

I thought about it and declined. I like my pot, and could think of no reason to switch to something else just for the sake of switching.

gandalfiii said:
Damn! That's a nice deal. I used to brew in an aluminum pot and it worked fine, but found a good deal on a larger SS pot. If I had seen that I probably would've picked that up instead.

So nice I already ordered it lol. Having Amazon Prime sucks when you have to pay $80, but then it sucks less when you have free two day shipping on an item that probably weighs around five pounds.

So nice I already ordered it lol. Having Amazon Prime sucks when you have to pay $80, but then it sucks less when you have free two day shipping on an item that probably weighs around five pounds.

I've handled one of these pots in a flea mkt and was surprised at the thickness. You'll get good use out of it. If you upgrade to 10 gal all-grain batches in the future, it can be used to heat strike water.

Well when you order as much stuff from Amazon as I do the Prime membership is great and well worth the money.

BrokenArmBrewing said:
Walmart has a new brand...8 gallon slum pot for 25 of my beer infused memory serves me correct

I'm not sure what the internals of a tamale steamer look like, but if they are removable this would be a great deal. Does anyone think this would work? I am thinking of picking one up. I've been doing partial boil 2.5 gal batches in an 8-quart SS stock pot.

Hope the mobile link works: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...-Tamale-and-Seafood-32-Quart-Steamer/13370045

I'm not sure what the internals of a tamale steamer look like, but if they are removable this would be a great deal. Does anyone think this would work?

The piece with the holes is all that goes inside and is removeable. Basically a pot with a drop in insert. So yes it will work.

Here's a good link. It's the same pot I linked to on Amazon. http://grocery.walmart.com/usd-esto...r.jsp?skuId=1027436&referrer=cookiesDetecting
0009404600034_215X215.jpg

I use an 8 gallon aluminum tamale steamer that I bought for $20 from a local grocery store. It works well for the price and will last a long time if I take care of it. Using aluminum, you want to fill it full of water and boil for 30-60 minutes to build up a protective "oxide" layer before brewing with it. It will turn a grayish color and that's what you want, then wash with something soft so you don't remove that layer.

Bamsdealer said:
$60 for a Stainless 9 gallon pot. Perfect for 5 gallon batches.

You can upgrade to one with welds for an extra 10 or 20 for a thermometer and/or valve. It was the first big brewing purchase I made and I'm happy I did

https://www.homebrewing.org/Brew-Pots_c_79.html

Wow, great price on a 15 gallon too. You can do 5 gallon all grain BIAB in that pot!

Latest posts

Back