Cheap and Easy freezer temp contol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Well I got my chest freezer running on a Ranco temp control and its working great. I aslo have a small chest freezer that I salvaged for nada. A week or so ago the keezer was full and I was looking to crashcool a fermenter prior to kegging, so I stuck it in the small spare freezer and plugged it in for 6-8 hours and unplugged it, and then plugged it in the next day for a few hours and so on.

Long story short, I now have it hooked up to a Wood's outdoor electric timer to cycle the freezer on for about 30 minutes every 4-5 hours and my keg "in waiting" is cold conditioning just fine.

Point is, I think you could run a chest freezer turned kegerator on a simple timer like this very succesfully for ten bucks off the shelf at Walmart. No, it doesn't give you a digital readout like the Ranco, but I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to adjust to real cold, cold, cool, or cellar temp. Oh, I also don't think there is a real risk of freezing beer unless you play aggressive.

I certainly realize that a responsive temp. controller clearly has advantages, but for ten bucks who couldn't use another holiday light timer. Also you need the outdoor model w/ the three prong grounded plug. This thing could probably do double duty heating up the mash water via heatsick while I'm sleepin in!

YMMV, sorry so long winded
Regards, Mike

Depends on how precise you need it to be. I use my temp control for lagering, so I want to be within a few degrees of my target so neither my yeast go dormant nor do I end up with a lot of ester production.

For serving beers or for cold conditioning, it would probably be fine. For fermentation I would want tighter control. In any case, I would dangle a thermometer probe in there.

Good point Bird, No I wouldn't recommend this dirty trick for precision lagering, but I think it would keep the ales quite quaffable.

I think I share opinions w/ the Biermuncher regarding the time commitment w/ lagering!

You'd run into a problem if your ambient temp changes. You could easily start freezing the beer after a couple cycles. I'd take that $10 and add another $15 for a johnson or similar analog controller on Ebay. I've never paid more than $30 for my controllers.

Those timers can be very useful. Sometimes, I'll plug my air pump into one and aerate my wort for 15 minutes every two hours. Great way to get a high gravity batch going.

Are you sure that the cheap timer is rated to handle the amperage a compressor can pull on startup? I thought most of them were only rated for turning on and off lamps.

Not really sure adx, but w/ my limited knowledge I think so. Here is the data that came w/ the timer, maybe you can help??

Timer is a Woods 59204
125VAC, 60 Hz
Resistive (general purpose) 15A / 1875W
Tungsten(incandescent lighting) 1250W
Horsepower: 1/2 HP

Mike

Unless you freezer is over 15 years old (or huge) it is probably in the 150-200 watt range. With the application of foamed insulation to freezers, compressor size has been reduced dramatically. My new 5 cu ft is only 130 watts. (AKA 1/6 hp)

I thought of using a thermostat, the ones used to control your furnace/AC. Hooking a relay (to handle the current) to the thermostat. Then mounting the thermstat inside the fridge or freezer.
I never finished the project as the fridge I was gonna use crapped out on me.

A regular thermostat will work splendidly as long as it is a "line voltage" thermostat; ie it acts as the relay for the heating element and passes the 120VAC through to it. Sadly, most thermostats these days are 24VDC, and merely send a weak signal to your furnace/AC that tells it to turn on or off; it doesn't supply power to them.

RadicalEd said:
A regular thermostat will work splendidly as long as it is a "line voltage" thermostat; ie it acts as the relay for the heating element and passes the 120VAC through to it. Sadly, most thermostats these days are 24VDC, and merely send a weak signal to your furnace/AC that tells it to turn on or off; it doesn't supply power to them.

Which won't be a problem if he uses a relay as he mentioned.

Scimmia said:
Which won't be a problem if he uses a relay as he mentioned.

I don't think you quite understood what he was getting at. IOW, most thermostats not only operate on 24vdc, but they're only setup to switch 24VDC so yes a relay would work but it would have to operate on 24VDC coil voltage and you'd need a 120VAC to 24VDC power supply to run the coil/thermo circuit.

IMHO, way more trouble than it's worth given dedicated line voltage controllers are pretty cheap on Ebay.

Bobby_M said:
I don't think you quite understood what he was getting at. IOW, most thermostats not only operate on 24vdc, but they're only setup to switch 24VDC so yes a relay would work but it would have to operate on 24VDC coil voltage and you'd need a 120VAC to 24VDC power supply to run the coil/thermo circuit.

No, I understood. Relays with a 24 VDC coil are not hard to find at all, so I didn't consider that anything different than was originally mentioned. The only real issue here is the power supply, and that could be remedied fairly easily; I think I have a couple of them in my parts bin, or even 2 isolated 12VDC supplies in series and you're set. Regulation may be an issue, though, but that could be easily remidied with an LM317 and a few passive parts.

Bobby_M said:
IMHO, way more trouble than it's worth given dedicated line voltage controllers are pretty cheap on Ebay.

I can't argue with that (I got a Johnson on Ebay for $25 shipped), but sometimes it isn't about saving money, it's just about doing it yourself. Do you brew beer just to save money?

Scimmia said:
I can't argue with that (I got a Johnson on Ebay for $25 shipped), but sometimes it isn't about saving money, it's just about doing it yourself. Do you brew beer just to save money?

Well no, I brew beer because I enjoy the brewing process and limited equipment engineering, but taking an hour or two out of my life to put $20 worth of parts together to replace a buyable $25 one stop solution is silly to me.

Bobby_M said:
Well no, I brew beer because I enjoy the brewing process and limited equipment engineering, but taking an hour or two out of my life to put $20 worth of parts together to replace a buyable $25 one stop solution is silly to me.

But if it's something you enjoy doing...

Back