Cheap airfare finder sites...do they work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Theres a bunch of airfare finder sites out there. Some free some not. Has anyone joined them and actually save REAL money?

If you only fly once or twice a year do the paid sites pay for themselves or is the discount to small?

I'd love to travel at a MASSIVE discounted rate and see the world. Is it all BS? Like you get a $100 flight one way but the return flight is $700.

Anyone that ACTUALLY used the sites with real feedback?

Google "hidden city ticketing" and save yourself a bundle. Just don't try it with Lufthansa.
Thats not what I'm interested in. Bailing on a flight at the layover with no luggage is to far of a stretch...just looking for cheap normal flights

If you find a flight you're willing to purchase, try checking it in an incognito window and see if the price changes. Sometimes sites use your cookies to determine that you are looking for a flight and raise the price.

I used Google Flights last year to find airfare and ended up getting a round trip flight to Tampa from Cleveland for a week for like $130 total including a checked bag. I think they compile prices from a lot of different airlines and it makes it easier to find the cheapest.

I just always flew on Southwest. Their fares are far lower than the big airlines and they don't fly through hubs. But they have limited international flights if that is what you are looking for. I flew from RI to FL. I wouldn't want to go much farther, the seating is very tight. And are uncomfortable for a long sit.

I used Google Flights last year to find airfare and ended up getting a round trip flight to Tampa from Cleveland for a week for like $130 total including a checked bag. I think they compile prices from a lot of different airlines and it makes it easier to find the cheapest.
I've also used Google to track flights (haven't used recently). I like the feature that if you're planning ahead it will send you updates on prices when they rise or fall. I saved over $150 on a flight by using it and buying tickets on I think a Tuesday vs a previous Friday.

I think there's a tool with it that will show you price trends, but I just set up notifications and kept track of that days had price drops vs increases, and bought when I saw the lowest price, and didn't have time to put off waiting any longer.

I've also used Google to track flights (haven't used recently). I like the feature that if you're planning ahead it will send you updates on prices when they rise or fall. I saved over $150 on a flight by using it and buying tickets on I think a Tuesday vs a previous Friday.

Wow! I traveled from RI to FL at Christmas for 18 years, until 2 years ago. The highest I ever paid on Southwest was about $250 round trip.

Wow! I traveled from RI to FL at Christmas for 18 years, until 2 years ago. The highest I ever paid on Southwest was about $250 round trip.
The flight was Wilmington, NC to Kansas City, MO. I think I paid ~$160ish, the top end of prices I think were around $350, and lowest were around $140, when I was keeping track.

I always search a number of sites and don't see a difference among them. I think all will now search all permutations and return the cheapest fare that's not trickery of some sort. I use Google flights to track and then often buy from the airline itself

Years ago I looked at Delta once. For a flight RI to Fl was about $450 with a stop in Atlanta. Southwest - direct - was under $200. I looked at Jet Blue, but no direct flights and a little higher $$

The funny thing was when looking at flight options on Delta, one was $1800. IIRC, From RI to Cleveland, to Charlotte NC, to Orlando. Total time about 9 hours. The direct flight times for Southwest ranged from 2.5 hours to 3 hours. My flights were 50% early.

I use Kayak and have had pretty good luck. Just got back from a 10 day vacation in France and RT airfare from Denver to Paris was $350 (carry on only, which was fine). Mostly depends on when you book. Late summer for the following spring and just before Thanksgiving thru Christmas for the following fall. I like that you can set up price alerts on Kayak.

Back