Chart for different yeast fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNDASJ

Reaction score
I'm finally gonna get 2 brews going sometime this week and am going to use my dual temp controlled fermentation freezer for the first time and was wondering if there is a chart for different yeast fermentation temps or do people just stick to mid 60s for ales and low 50s upper 40s for lagers? Sorry if this has been covered already but the search function on the HBT app doesn't really work to well. Thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated!

It depends on the strain of yeast that you are using. Each strain has an optimal fermentation temperature.

I've never really seen a chart, you can look the particular yeast up that you're using on the lab's website and get a working temperature range from that. Problem is that everyone will have a temperature that works best for them and their setup. Your best bet is to stick with a couple yeasts that you use a lot and experiment with how they react to warmer and cooler temps and compile your own chart. That said, I usually reference 'Brewing Classic Styles' or a similar recipe book if I'm using a yeast that I'm unfamiliar with or a new style. That is another thing to consider, you may want to ferment 2 beers at different temperatures using the same yeast to get different results. That's why you won't find much if you search, or you may in fact find too much.

The best place to get fermentation temperature information is from the yeast manufacturer's website. For example, when I use Wyeast's Dennys Favorite 50, here's the info I look up (Wyeast Laboratories. Denny's Favorite 50 1450)

YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50
Back to Yeast Strain List

This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F 15-21C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%

Generally, even within that temperature range, I make some decisions about fermentation temperature on my own. I almost always ferment at the low range of each yeast strain's range, unless my personal experience tells me that I should do otherwise. In this case, I use Denny's yeast at about 62-64 degrees and like the results.

Latest posts

Back