Chardonnay wine kit not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitchenClown

Reaction score
I started a Wine Expert Chardonnay kit 3 days ago adding ingredients as specified in the directions, and as yet there is no sign of fermentation. All the other kits have started fermenting within the first 24 hours. How long should I wait, and if it does not start fermenting, what should I do?

What signs are you looking for? If you're fermenting in a bucket, airlock activity may not be happening because of micro leaks around the lid, which are not a problem and very common with buckets.

If its too cool, that might make the yeast slow, so you could raise the temp, put it in a warmer spot, but if you're around 70F you hsould be fine.

Be sure that your juice is at least 60'F, preferably 70'F. Although yeast goes through a day or so of lag time where you won't see activity, 3 days seems like a long time.

Sounds like you will want to re-pitch your yeast. In order to get the highest live yeast cell count the manufacturers recommend a hydration procedure outlined below. This is what I do and it works well.
1) Be sure to rehydrate it in 10 times its weight in warm water (~100'F). This would be 50ml of water for each 5gm packet of yeast. Gently stir the yeast into the water just enough to break up the clumps. Don't vigorously agitate it. Wait 15min. Most yeast strains will be visibly foamy.
2) Then double its volume with your juice (50ml juice) to acclimate the yeast and bring down the temp. Wait 10 min.
3) Double its volume with your juice again (100ml juice) to acclimate the yeast and bring down the temp. Wait 10 min.
4) Pour the yeast on top of the juice and do not stir it in.

Should show bubbles through the airlock in 24-36hrs.

Cheers
-John

I just started a kit and it too 2.5 days to get moving. Also temp was too low so I raised it from 64 to 74 deg C and now it's rocking!

Back