Chapman 7gal Univessel Ball-Valve Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benighted

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently bought a Chapman 7gal Univessel with a ball valve that I intend to use as my fermenter. After some research I noticed that a lot of people are a bit wary of using a ball valve on the cold side so my question is: should I even use the ball valve to rack to a keg or should I just run sanitizer through the ball valve to keep it clean and just use an autosiphon instead?

I have two and have not had any issues using oxy clean and starsan soaks and or rinsing. If you are really worried you could always boil a gallon or two, how ever much water it would take to get the water level above the valve.

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Chapman 7gal Univessel with a ball valve that I intend to use as my fermenter. After some research I noticed that a lot of people are a bit wary of using a ball valve on the cold side so my question is: should I even use the ball valve to rack to a keg or should I just run sanitizer through the ball valve to keep it clean and just use an autosiphon instead?
all my stainless conicals have ball valves as most come with them on a homebrewing scale instead of butterfly valves.

I just use a wrench to unscrew the end and pop the ball out and clean the inside between uses then sanitize.. its actually very easy unless you have the more complicated 3 piece valves which everyone seems to want although I have no idea why.

Why would you consider using an autosiphon? that negates the main advantage of these right?

Back