Changed Fermenting bin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have changed my fermenting bin to one with a Air lock on it, on top of the bin it came with a sticker on it saying "IMPORTANT TO FACILITATE SEALING, USE PETROLEUM JELLY ON CAP THREAD AND "O" RING "

I guess this means to rub some Jelly round the mentioned parts, firstly would vasalene do? and secondly i am a bit concerned rubbing anything round these bits as i keep hearing about sanitizing properly and i dont want this jelly/vasalene to cause germs etc

Any Advice??

Thanks

Chris

I just make sure the air lock is firmly presse down on the o ring. I dont use any sort of jelly to help seal. You should be fine with a small amount being used.

Chris, if inbred crosseyed monks could brew beer in wooden barrels on dirt floors in 1245 AD, surely you can do it. The chances of your beer contacting the airlock, with or without vaseline, is pretty small. So relax, don't worry, have a homebrew... Your beer is going to turn out awesome.

Vasalene is like a name brand of petroleum jelly, its exactly what its asking for. Just apply a thin layer to the O-ring (or the airlock, or both) and press firmly on the airlock to where it feels secure, it will be fine. If you are really worried about it, you can use Neosporin, that should keep the nasties at bay. According to the Neosporin website:

"Neosporin Ointment's triple antibiotic formula kills all three of the most common skin bacteria, plus Neosporin Ointment provides long-lasting infection protection. "

So you won't have to worry about any common skin bacteria, lol, hey and you'll get long-lasting infection protection too. Really though, the Vasalene will be fine, and its much much cheaper. Good luck with the beer, let us know how it comes out.

Neosporin? Sick! No way would I use antibiotics near my beer. They already sneak enough of that crap in our food and meats.

Just use some food grade Keg Lube if you are so worried about it. It is available at any HBS for like $2 bucks.

I have the same locking threaded screw-on style buckets with the rubber gasket around top rim of the lid. All I do is clean and properly sanitise with idophor, and I have NEVER had a problem.

It's not like we're trying to make this thing submersible to 3000 feet either... as long as you don't open the lid, there will be positive pressure from the CO2 from the fermentation... a guy would do nearly as well as a perfect air-lock to just punch a couple tiny holes in the lid. Worry less - brew more.

chris_newton said:
I have changed my fermenting bin to one with a Air lock on it, on top of the bin it came with a sticker on it saying "IMPORTANT TO FACILITATE SEALING, USE PETROLEUM JELLY ON CAP THREAD AND "O" RING "

Any Advice??

Personally, I would stay a mile away form that suggestion. That is just asking to harbor nasties.

Pretty old topic....but some questions return....
I bought a Young's Fermenter and I found the same suggestion....
Any experience?

4efbfc9bbd9247f5a0674f356af64c8d.image.220x219.jpg

2f10c571eeaa2cedebc9ae04652392b2.image.220x220.jpg

Back