Change sanitizer in blowoff jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Used a yeast starter and now have more active fermentation than I've ever had before. So much blowoff that the Starsan in the jar is the color of krausen. Is it OK to leave it like that, or should I at some point replace it?

Remove the airlock and put on a blowoff tube. In a couple of days, when it's died down a little, replace the airlock with fresh starsan.

Per the title of the thread, he does have a blowoff tube.

I do replace mine when it gets yeasty, but I only use water.

Remove the airlock and put on a blowoff tube. In a couple of days, when it's died down a little, replace the airlock with fresh starsan.

I think "the StarSan in the jar" indicates that the OP is already using a blowoff tube and not an airlock.
I would give it a day or two until the crazy active fermentation dies down and then just remove the blowoff tube temporarily to rinse it out, re-sanitize, replace the StarSan in your jar with some more that's clean and you're back in business. Also if you prefer, at this point, you can switch over to an airlock if you want. You should be safe.

I just use water. I set the blowoff container in a bucket in case it overflows. I don't bother to clean out the blowoff receiver and I use a small amount of water so it can't be siphoned back into the fermenter.

If you have ever seen a breweries fermenters, they use a standpipe for blowoff and just drop a hose from the standpipe into a bucket of water.

SORRY EVERYONE. Reading fail. Sometimes people call airlocks "jars".

I hereby amend my previous suggestion and add, no, I do not change the starsan. I switch to an airlock after the blow off is no longer necessary.

Again, I apologize for not reading better. It's something I'll have to work on if you'll all please bear with me.

Since I rarely need a blowoff tube, if it becomes necessary then I route the tube into the water of my swamp cooler instead of a jar. Then I affix the tube so it minimizes torque on the lid.

Since the pressure is going out and away from the fermenter then I see no need to change the starsan, but it won't hurt a thing if you did. Now if you cold crash then the yeasty starsan could reverse and get sucked back into the primary. Change to an airlock if you cold crash.

I only change it if the jar is starting to overflow. Otherwise I let it ride. Blowoff usually doesn't last more than a couple days unless you way overfill the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back