Change in color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rave

Reaction score
So don't know if it's my imagination, but I think my Irish Ale changed colors in the secondary. When I was racking from the primary to the secondary, I took a gravity sample. The sample had a beautiful dark red color that I was pretty impressed with. After several days in the secondary, I transferred to my keg and I noticed that the color was more of a brownish color and not quite as red as it was before. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this before?

Mostly due to yeast and trub settling and how light refracts off of the bulk beer and such.

Just look at your racking cane when you're transferring beer. It always looks lighter in the tube than it does in the carboy.

Waldor nailed it, your beer is doing what it is supposed to be doing in secondary, clearing. As yeast and proteins settle out of solution it's going to appear to change colors.

Thanks for the information. I figured thats what it was. I also thought maybe some of the trub and yeast got stirred up during transfer clouding up the beer and therefore darking it up.

Latest posts

Back