Change Collector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have an old glass carboy that I've been using as a change collector for the last few years. I'm sure there's all kind of bacteria and metal taste in it. Can anyone tell me. If I clean it out with PDW for a good 24hrs and sanitize it with one step for a good 24hrs should I safely be able to use it as a carboy again?

Thanks,
Mike

I think that would be OK. As long as there aren't any stains are residue left behind you should be good to go.

I'd be concerned about damage to the glass from the change getting dumped in. You may end up with a carboy that's ready to crack when you give it a dirty look.

Much as I don't trust large glass containers, glass cleans up 100%. Probably its second most important characteristic. Number 1: you can watch the yeast at work.

I'd be concerned about damage to the glass from the change getting dumped in. You may end up with a carboy that's ready to crack when you give it a dirty look.

+1 on that. A friend of mine had one that broke just from dropping coins in. He had about an inch of coins on the bottom of it when a crack developed on the bottom and ran up the side. Then the whole thing shattered while it was just sitting there.

I used to have a heavy one gallon glass jug that I kept change in. It too cracked with just a few inches of coins sitting in it.

I would just keep using for coins until it's full then get rid of it. It would be much easier to clean up dry glass and coins then sticky-wet glass and beer.

Back