Chances off flavors from high fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuhammer14

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a porter using White labs ole english dry ale yeast on Sunday 10/12. I had the fermenter in a room where the ambient temp was 72, but the fermentation temp on the bucket was 76-78 for about 24 hrs before I realized it was a bit high and I moved it. Ever since then it has been in a different room where temps of 66-70 have been maintained in the fermenter.

I know that exposure to higher temps can create fruity off-flavors, and my question is, how fast do they typically start? If my fermenter was warmer than intended for 24 hrs, what are the chances the off-flavors have already settled in? Does it need to be consistently high temps over days to develop them?

During the first 72 hours, is when most esters are produced. So yeah, 24 hours in the high 70s, will likely have produced additional esters.

Unfortunately there is a high chance of off flavors occurring. Remember, fermentation temp is EVERYTHING! Especially in the first 48 hours. Cheers

ouch, i think you would teast some esters if you drank it soon. most times you can still get most of the esters out as long at the temp doesn't go to high, but 78 is getting up there.

I would suggest to raise the temp to 77deg and let it sit for at least 3 weeks. it may need 5-6 weeks... that should clean most of it up

Yeah, this batch is pretty boned. I suggest keeping a sixer of it for a year and then a year from now crack one open and marvel at how much better your beers are.

doh,
sounds like i borked it bad on this one. Swamp cooler or fridge with controller needed for the next batch.

What would be the best way to reduce the esters that most likely formed, move it to secondary and age for 2-3 months, leave it in primary for that time, or just bottle and let sit?

I'm wondering if there would be any difference in how flavors change when they are in a large container vs the bottles?

I would give it at least 6 weeks in primary. It's a porter, so you have some malt and roast flavors to hide mistakes. If this was a pale ale or a cream ale you might be in trouble.

It might be okay sooner - or it may never be great. Bottle it and try one, then decide if you should drink it fast or wait it out.

You'll likely have some off-flavors but luckily a porter will hide many of these, and many English beers are meant to have esters and diacetyl. However, I'd be more worried about higher alcohols like fusels. When you start to drink them, tread carefully. Too many beers with fusels in them will make you want to die the next day.

As mentioned above, I would leave it in primary for a month and a half or so, then bottle.

Let it sit in the bottles in a warmer (mid-upper 70's) area for a month, taste one, see how it is. If off flavors are still there, give it another month, rinse, wash, repeat.

There are two questions, here: (1) did you make a to-style porter, and (2) did you make a pleasant, drinkable beer?

The answer to (1) is, as everybody else has mentioned, is probably no.

But what about (2)? Your warm fermentation is going to produce some "belgiany" flavors that aren't a usual component of a porter, but aren't gross in and of themselves. So, give it an extra couple warm weeks in primary and let it clean up what it will, but give it a chance – just because you didn't land where you were aiming doesn't mean you didn't land somewhere tasty.

Now, that being said, a swamp cooler and a few quarter- and half-gallon plastic jugs you can throw in the freezer would be a great investment in brewing the beer you intend on brewing; I'm on my 11th batch in mine, and as long as you don't let it go more than 10 hours or so at a stretch, you won't have any trouble keeping it within a degree or two of target.

Back