Champagne vs Nottingham yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic

Reaction score
I'm looking to use real apple (unfermented) cider and want to produce a cider that is slightly sweet(not cloying) and refreshing. I do not want to produce a french style dry cider. Which would be the best yeast to use? I am new to cider making. C :confused:

My first batch I made was used Red Star champagne yeast, about 8.5% ABV campden tablet and sorbate to stabilize and a can of apple juice concentrate to backsweeten and it's delicious! I am now trying 3 other batches using different combinations and seeing which sugar, yeast (safale so4), and other variables I can alter to my liking.

Making cider is cheap, and seems pretty hard to mess up. Try different things out and see what you like, because what someone else likes may not be quite as appealing to you.

I'm looking to use real apple (unfermented) cider and want to produce a cider that is slightly sweet(not cloying) and refreshing. I do not want to produce a french style dry cider. Which would be the best yeast to use? I am new to cider making. C :confused:

Go with the Nottingham ale yeast, it'll give you more apple flavour & get you closer to your desired end product.
Regards, GF.

Neither, use Safale S04. You'll get a sweet fruity cider that is easy to stop fermenting by cold-crashing.

haha...cheating is pulling the labels off of full strongbow bottles and calling it yours. Other than that...I think it's fair game.

I've only ever made one batch of cider, i used the champagne yeast and allowed it to ferment out completely, then bottled it with priming sugar to carbonate it... it was increadibly dry...

Anyways, i would recomend Nottingham, or some other Ale yeast.. i'm not sure if anyone's ever tried Windsor.. it usually gives me high FG in my brews... might be good for a cider as it seems to have the tendancy to be overly dry...

Latest posts

Back