CF15 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrels

Reaction score
Creating this thread to record using the cf15 for 5ish gallon batches. Today I brewed a 6 gallon Rauchbier in my CF15 and it is working just fine so far.

I moved the sample valve to a not so great position. I can't take any samples this way. I think for this to work better, I would recommend buying a 1.5 cap for the normal thermowell position.

The temp is holding pretty well at 55 degrees right now, so the coil is keeping up with the airspace.

Attachments

• 20210321_164506.jpg
    20210321_164506.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
What is the issue you were concerned about besides the coil reaching? I remember some comments about the large airspace exposing the beer to O2 but wouldn't it be filled with CO2 once fermentation started?

Main concern was if the coil would work and keep it at 55.

The o2 doesn't bug me at all. I do 10 gallon batches fairly frequently and haven't noticed any ill effects. Fermentation creates a ton of CO2.

After nearly a week of fermentation, I can say holding 52 was no problem with ambient temp of 70ish. I'd rate this a success.

If you want the flexibility to do 5-15 gallon batches, then the cf15 fits the bill.

After doing the fast lager, the Rauchbier is going into the keg. Zero problems for the cf15 with a 5 gallon batch.
20210402_193842.jpg

This is great to know as ive been looking at doing double batches of certain beers i drink often like a hefe or pseudo lager. Ill keep the stouts and NEIPAs to 5 gallon batches for now.

Glad to help. I was hoping to do some 5 gallon out of my comfort zone batches with good fermentation control and not end up with 10 gallons of a dumper.

I couldn't find any details on trying the 5 gallons in a cf15. I would highly recommend a 1.5 cap for where the highest tc port is. I bought these and they work well.

I used those exact drawings when deciding to try it. My system can make 5 of anything and 15 of something light (e.g. cream of three crops). So, I now feel like I bought right and bought just once!

I recently ordered a CF5. The latest version has a third port in the lid and a small price hike. But I'm pushing 70 and have no desire to brew batches larger than five gal any longer. Several reasons for my decision. I'm getting too old for the weight of larger batches. I get tired of a batch before I finish 5 gallons anyway. And as part of my final brewery remodeling, I am putting together a more streamlined system including an electric HLT. I'll keep some of my older equipment for now just in case a group brew pops up but I don't plan on making batches larger than 5 gallons in the future.

Creating this thread to record using the cf15 for 5ish gallon batches. Today I brewed a 6 gallon Rauchbier in my CF15 and it is working just fine so far.

I moved the sample valve to a not so great position. I can't take any samples this way. I think for this to work better, I would recommend buying a 1.5 cap for the normal thermowell position.

The temp is holding pretty well at 55 degrees right now, so the coil is keeping up with the airspace.
Thanks for starting this Squirrels. Great info to know. Given your experience my next will be a CF15 rather than CF10. Cheers 🍻

Back